Friday, December 5, 2008

A Pocket Full of Sunshine

Today's Wonder of the World is...the Pocket!

Flickr photo by njk1951
Or la poche, as they say in France.
Do you have sunshine in your pocket?
What else is in there?
If you're like most of us these days, not much.

Flickr photo by pedrosales
I usually have an index card in my pocket, just in case I want to write something down.
But I might replace it with this.

Photo by cabin.etsy.com
It's a pocket journal I found on Etsy, here. It'd be perfect for my pocket.

Did you know that if we lived back in the middle ages, our pockets would hang from belts?

Public domain photo
It's true.
And here's another fascinating pocket fact: Have you heard the saying Don't buy a pig in a poke? You'll love where the story behind it:
Poke comes from the French poche, for pocket. The saying comes from the middle ages, when tricky merchants would claim to sell someone a suckling pig, (meat was scarce back then) and then hand them a wriggling bag which actually contained a cat (cat's weren't scarce, apparently.) So buying a pig in a poke was not a smart thing. Unless you wanted a cat.
It makes me wonder, didn't people check the bag? And wouldn't a cat move differently that a suckling pig? Didn't the cat meow?
Whatever.
In any case, a pig in a poke really is cute.

Flickr photo by Polite Engineer
And guess what else? That's also where the saying Let the cat out of the bag originated--to reveal a secret. And to be left holding the bag--to be duped!
I'm just a fountain of information today!

Back to pockets...
It's amazing that some animals have built in pockets.

Flickr photo by shellorz
Except for Katy.

Poor Katy. But don't worry, she gets her pocket in the end.
Have you read about her? It's one of my favorite children's books.
Someone should have told her to talk with Ken.

Flickr photo by 8 Skeins of Danger
Love that manly (sort of) pocket. Wait...isn't that GI Joe? I thought I recognized the scar.
Joe's pocket is nice, but as far as a creative pocket, his doesn't come close to this treasure I found here. It's a child's coat made by my friends at Sugar City Journal, a fun blog written by two very creative sisters in law.

Photo by Sugar City Journal
Look at what's inside!

Photo by Sugar City Journal
It's Little Red Riding Hood (Le Petit Chaperon Rouge, for all you Francophiles!)
And there's a woodcutter, a wolf, and Grandma.
But the best part? Get ready. It's slightly gruesome...

Photo by Sugar City Journal
The woodcutter does neat work! He even installed a zipper on the hungry wolf!
Let's stay in this gritty, dark mood, shall we?
If you're not too tired from freeing little Red Riding Hood from the guts of the wolf, have a listen to Oliver's lesson that sometimes You've Got To Pick A Pocket or Two!

Have a wonder-full Friday and a super weekend, y'all!
Love, Becky

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Becky, this little pocket of information was just plum full o'fun! Have a great weekend! :)

a Tonggu Momma said...

Ack! I was in that play. I sang that song. On stage. In front of people.

And my daddy is retired military. Do you know military personnel aren't allowed to put their hands in their pockets? Horrendous! Once my daddy retired, he walked around with his hands in his pockets all the time. And I do mean all the time. And he'd always grin just before he did it.

LW said...

Pockets, I love pockets, I am not a purse carrier so pockets are needed…
The only thing about being female and not carrying a purse is that people often
mistake me for a salesclerk.

One day an older gentleman asked me a question I said, “Sorry I don’t work here”
He said, “Oh, but you are not carrying a purse so I thought you did”
And than he gave me a big smile and said that, my husband was one lucky man because he didn’t have to
spend his life holding onto my purse…I laughed and said “but I spend what’s in his pocket”.


Louise

Suzie said...

The whole notion someone would eat a suckling pig just makes me so sad. A little baby pig still suckleing from its mama. I just bums me out

Rosemary said...

Hi Becky,
A good pocket of information!!
Have a great weekend!
Rosemary

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

I've never heard the "pig in a pocket" saying but it's interesting to know where "let the cat out of the bag" came from!

Unknown said...

My pockets are empty when I need something in them -- and full when I need them empty!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hey Tatting chic!

Tonggu Momma, I remember that! Todd was in the Air Force for four years when we were newlyweds. No hands in the pockets.

Louise, I don't know how you get by without a purse! Mine is always stuffed to the brim. The other day I even found a hammer in mine. I'm impressed!

Susie, I agree. Those middle ages were some harsh times. Good think they got a cat instead. Hopefully one with claws!

Happy weekend to you too Rosemary.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hi Jamie and Sherry--didn't see you there.

Anonymous said...

I love pockets--in fact, the worst part of being pregnant was NO POCKETS in maternity clothes. Like the extra bulk mattered...

David Ebright said...

It's so cold up here in Chicago (5 degrees this AM) I'm learning to drive with my hands in my pockets. Need to get home to Florida ASAP, but it's starting to look like we're gonna miss Christmas this year (& our visit with the kids & grandkids). Pretty bummed.

I'm with Suzie about the pig - also a reason that I won't go near veal. LW - Your husband is very lucky indeed.

Have a great weekend!

lotusgirl said...

I love the little red riding hood cape. That's so funny that there's a zipper pocket in the wolf's belly. I have that dark sense of humor.

Don't you just love Oliver! The music in it is so fun!

Kat said...

My boys are SO EXCITED when they have pockets on their clothing. I don't know why. They just love pockets.

Adrienne said...

I love that first picture!
Now I have the song Pocketful of Sunshine in my head...

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

It seems incredible that this cat/pig in a bag scam was so widespread that it spawned no fewer than 3 common sayings!

Maybe it was the Nigerian-millionaire scam of its era.

Linda Summerfield said...

During the last Depression, wearing your pockets untucked from your pants, revealing their emptiness, was known as the Hoover Flag. I do believe your first pic could be called the Bush Flag.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I loved those big, beautiful ball gowns that Gianfranco Ferre did several years ago. They were gorgeous, and they had Pockets!!

Parisbreakfasts said...

Wonderful series of tropes!
Loved the music video too... :)

May Vanderbilt said...

I've got something in my pocket that belongs across my face, I keep it very close to me in the most convenient place.

I'm sure you couldn't guess it if you guessed a long, long while, so I'll take it out and put it on, it's a great big Brownie smile.

(Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.)

Anonymous said...

awww!

I have a friend who's first name IS Sunshine, and I want that first pic to send her;-)

Alexandra MacVean said...

Good morning, Becky. Hope you have a good weekend! I just love the cute little piggy in the pocket! :)

*hugs*

Susan said...

I used to work with a man who had to constantly run to K-mart, because his pen had leaked in his shirt pocket, or trouser pocket. Fun post, as usual. Take care.