Monday, December 1, 2008

Join the Parade!

Today's Wonder of the World is...A Parade!

Flickr photo by jonnyNYC
I love a parade. Do you?

We were too busy Thanksgiving morning with sitting out on the screen porch (yey for November in South Carolina) yakking with family and snarfing down my sister-in-law Swanee's incredible crab dip to watch it on television. But thank goodness my smartypants/parade loving son Sam taped it.
Did you see it? It was fantastic!

Some day I'd love to go to New York and watch it in person. That is, providing I can bring some South Carolina weather with me--or at least a warm coat. Those dancers looked cold!

I wonder who invented parades.
Was it the Flintstones?

Flickr photo by Davydutchy
Or maybe that Emperor with the New Clothes. Remember that story from your childhood?

I love small town parades.
The marching bands...

Flickr photo by jsstudios
And the kiddie floats...

Flickr photo by L-Train8
Have you ever been in a parade?
When I was little, I marched in the Raleigh Christmas Parade with some kids from my neighborhood. Our theme was Christmas Around the World and I got to wear a kimono and put chopsticks in my hair. It was very exciting, but the best part was the hot chocolate at the end of the route. That, and waving at all the people.

If I had had a camera, I might have taken a picture of them.

Flickr photo by Iceberg54
That car ride would have been nice too. I remember how exhausted I was at the end of the route.
Hey, maybe that's why my mother signed me up!

No wonder some folks like an armchair view.

Flickr photo by sk8mama
Well, that's a different take on it.

For some reason, parades and hot dogs just go together.

Flickr photo by rainypenguin
Small or big!

Flickr photo by jonnyNYC
Have you ever sausage a float?

And of course, a Thanksgiving Parade must always end with the arrival of the Big Guy in Red!

Flickr photo by Joolsptown
On a fire engine.
Does this strike you as weird, or is it just me? If he can't arrive by sleigh, why not in a red convertible? And come to think of it, what is Santa doing at a Thanksgiving Parade? He's a busy man. Why not mark the end of the parade with a big turkey, or the Great Pumpkin, or a giant can of cranberry sauce walking the route, shaking hands?
But I suppose that would be weirder than Santa on a fire engine.

Just in case you missed the parade on TV, here's one of my favorite moments. I love how the Macy's Parade always gives a peek into what's currently on Broadway. If I ever do make it to New York, I want to see In The Heights!


Before you go dance off to the rest of your day, tell me, have you ever been in a parade? Or seen any big ones? What is your favorite part? Or are you like my dear husband, who'd rather watch paint dry?

Have a wonder-full Monday, everyone!
Love, Becky

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the Columbus Day parade in NYC several years ago, and I ALWAYS tell myself every year that some day I will take my kids to the Macy's Parade on Thanksgiving.

My kids love parades. Little future people-watchers in the making;-)

Suzie said...

I go to the Mummers parade in Philly every new years day. Its a strange parade and I love it.

David Ebright said...

Ah Suzie! A Mummer lover!?! My wife's family were all Mummers (wackos). Strange parade indeed. Drunk guys dressed up like 'wimmin' struttin' like they have a serious itch. It's gotta be the longest parade known to mankind.

Becky - I'm with Todd - I'd rather watch paint dry - in fact - I'd rather watch paint peel! HUMBUG!

Susan said...

Ohhh, I'm jumping up and down! I love parades. I have so many pictures of hometown parades. I was a majorette in our small local troop, and then for several years in high school. Whew, marching in heavy boots with taps is no easy feat. After that I dated a guy in our fire department and they went to all kinds of parades. By the way, when I was a kiddie,Santa used to arrive via helicopter and land on the roof top of a nearby Sears store. It was a really big deal.

Rosemary said...

Hi Becky,
Parades, how fun!
Our big parade in Southern California would be the Rose Parade.
I went and camped out for it once.
I prefer to watch it on TV.
Hope you had a good turkey day!!
Rosemary

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Becky,

I can't decide what I love more, the dogs with the hotdogs, or the grapes kid's float! Thanks for sharing,
xo Lidy

LW said...

Every year my hubby talks about going to the Macy parade and every year I just smile …

I was in my small town parade a few times I walked with my troop when I was a girl scout.
Years later, when I became a leader I conned my helpers to walk with the girls…
I like watching much better than walking or riding the floats….

Louise

Adrienne said...

I missed most of the Macy's parade 'cause I was in the kitchen...I can do with just the highlights, though. I love the balloons.

Unknown said...

Hi Becky,
The parade blog post is cute. I never really got into watching the parades on TV, I'd so much rather be there in person, LOL!

BTW, I saw Greer and Greenville, SC on TV last night on HGTV's "House Hunters"!!! I was so excited I was like, "Oh, I know someone who is around there!!!".
Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you when I saw the big water tower that said, "Greer" the entertainment went down from there as they only showed houses and I was sleepy, LOL! I was hoping to catch a glimpse of you walking down the street, LOL!

Just wanted to let you know,
~TattingChic :)

CC said...

Parades are ridiculous, but still fun. Never really figured out why.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I always watch the Macy parade. It is tradition. I get tears in my eyes when I see the Santa float! It reminds me of my kids when they were little.

Anonymous said...

I love parades. Our old house was 3 doors down from main street and it seemed like that town had parades every other weekend. It was always a mild surprise to see people flood the streets and hear a band starting up. We always joined in the crowd.

lotusgirl said...

I was in the band in HS and college so I marched in lots of parades--small hometown and in bigger venues too. LA, DC, Disney World, Disneyland, and Myrtle Beach. Mostly I blocked out the performing parts. It's especially exhausting being in a parade. Standing around waiting for your turn and then all that walking and holding up your instrument (I play the trumpet) in the heat on the pavement or the cold--hands freezing and trying to make the move to play. Playing while walking. Having to mark time when the parade gets backed up. Being at attention the whole time. Playing the same song 20 times all along the parade route. Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade.

I enjoyed watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade this year for the performances along the way, but not so much for the parade. I'm not really interested in going to NYC for the parade. You get a better view of the performances on TV and it's not so cold.

Kat said...

I used to march in the 4th of July parade when I was little. My favorite part was decorating my wagon or bike with streamers. That was so fun!

I will admit that this past 4th of July the parade was the longest of my life! And not much fun stuff either. It seems more about advertising businesses now. So sad.

Barb said...

Hi Becky,

I LOVE parades! I try to watch the Macy parade every year (bits and pieces anyway). I always get a little teary eyed when Santa arrives.
Hubby is not a parade watcher but does love his FOOTBALL!

hugs,
Barb

Anonymous said...

What a great group of pictures and fun post... I laughed my head off... and that's pretty terrific for a Monday morning! Thanks for sharing the "joy rides" with the rest of us...
xoxo
Karen

Michele Thornton said...

I'm with your hubby on this one. I think parades are a drag. I do watch Macy's only to see the Broadway show performers. Otherwise, I just don't get it.

I walked in one once when I was 9 and didn't like that either. I have pictures of me looking like I'm watching paint dry, the only Campfire girl not smiling and waving. (shudder).

For the record I don't like clowns or circuses either. What a buzzkill, eh?

May Vanderbilt said...

Despite living in NYC for four years, I have never seen the parade. (My mom has a thing about me coming home for Thanksgiving.)

But I really want to someday. Maybe with my own kids.

Fete et Fleur said...

Yes! I have been in a parade. I've actually been in many parades. The best part, meeting all the wonderful people involved!

Nancy
P.S. I have to get one of those armchairs!

Jojo said...

I have been to a million of those small town parades and as I child I loved them, especially the Christmas parade. Growing up all of the Christmas parades were during the day but for a number of years we lived in a town that had an evening parade. All of the floats are lighted which are beautiful but noisy because of all the generators. If the Shriners come with their crazy vehicles, you won't notice any noises because their vehicles are ridiculously noisy.

Personally I would much rather watch the parade than be in the parade and I live for the hot chocolate when the parade is over. That is the best.

savvycityfarmer said...

My kids were in the Disney parade of states one year...they rode in the Indiana convertible....

I,too love parades...so small towm America...we're going to one this Saturday...it features a golden retriever club and all the goldens walk with their owners all dressed in dogie holiday clothes...cute

Cathy said...

Ok, the Gaffney Peach made me take a look. I'm from Boiling Springs, SC. I'm off to read more of your blog.

Cathy