Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Books, Anyone?

Today's Wonder of the World is...Favorite Books for the Christmas Season!

Flickr photo by catsav
Wondering what to read to the kiddies this time of year? Or what to snuggle up with yourself?
I'll share some of my favorites and I'd love to hear yours too! I hope you'll speak up. I'd love to discover some new treasures this year.

Of course for Christians, nothing beats the Greatest Story of All.

Only A Star is by far my favorite picture book version of the nativity story. The artwork will stun you.

The story A Small Miracle is told entirely through pictures--no words.

I found it enchanting.

And of course I can't leave out my favorite Christmas book from my childhood.

Has anyone else read this? It tells the story of what happens when the littlest member of the Heavenly Host falls asleep in the field during the singing and is left behind on earth.

Here's another fun book.

It's like an advent calendar, with plenty of doors and tent flaps to open. Behind every door there's an interesting fact about life in ancient Bethlehem, like Kids played marbles with round walnuts or Doves are trained to carry the mail.

I'm sorry, but I just can't resist this baby board book.

Someone bought it for us the year Sam was born, and every year I CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT OUT AND HAVE A FIT OVER EACH PAGE!
Don't judge me.
Just look!

Those toes! Those cheeks!

I can't resist this book either.


Or this one.

I read it every year.

And I love this one too.

Have you read A Redbird Christmas yet? Please do! I'd hate to count how many times I've read that thing--in every season! Think of the gardens I could have planted, the laundry I could have done...But it was so worth it.

Last but not least, one of my most favorite Christmas stories, A Christmas Carol.

Flickr photo by Johnny Quixote
It never gets old!

Bless us one and all!
Have a wonder-full Tuesday, y'all!
And before you go, don't be a Scrooge! Please tell me your favorites for kids or adults.
I need another excuse to run to the bookstore!
Love, Becky

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi becky
betyou don't know who this is , that reads your blogs
often
i really enjoy them

Rebecca Ramsey said...

You've made me curious! Give me a hint!

Anonymous said...

might be an aunt or a uncle

LW said...

I just happen to have sitting right here a few of our Christmas books.
Sunday’s lunch was spent reminiscing about some of our very favorite Christmas stories.
The first also by Peter Collington, wordless and enchaining is “On Christmas Eve”. A much-loved story and on top of my list is “The story Of Holly & Ivy” by Rumer Godden. And in our house Christmas just would not be Christmas with out “The Donkey’s Dream” by Barbara Helen Berger. I too own that very same copy of “The Lost Angel” I think I will read it again tonight.

I will have to check out “A Redbird Christmas” if you have read it many times it must be really good…

Louise

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

I just love Christmas-time. My, that baby book is the cutest thing I've ever seen!!

Bobbie said...

Oh, good! Some titles I'm not familiar with. My kids will be happy. Our favorite right now is Jan Brett's Christmas collection. The illustrations are beautiful and the stories enchanting. It's the first book out over the holidays and the last one put away.

Unknown said...

Oh, Those are cute! Brings back some memories some of them...well, actually, just one of them, LOL! I haven't seen the others, but I have a lot of different Christmas books, myself. Most of them are collections of poems or stories!

Suzie said...

I dont celebrate xmas but have a great one

Unknown said...

I've never seen the Jingle Babies but the book looks absolutely adorable. I love it!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites is "The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree". I cry every time I read it! Thanks for the birthday greeting!

Ronnie said...

Thanks for the reading list. I adore Fannie Flagg.

B said...

Ronnie sent me your way and I'm glad she did. She said that you're a writer, and so am I. From what I can see she was correct about you, but as for me, who knows!

I'm going to have to check out that Only a Star book. Thanks for the recommendation.

lotusgirl said...

Books! I can't get enough of those! For the little kiddies I love The Christmas Candle by Richard Paul Evans. The pictures are a-maz-ing!

My daughter loves the book Kringle by Tony Abbott geared for the MG crowd. I thought I'd recommend it since there aren't many in that category.

Susan said...

Oh dear, I haven't read any on this list except the Grinch. As far as books, I love Jan Karon's works and The Mitford Snowman is a must to check out. For holiday fun, you can't beat Skipping Christmas by John Grisham, it's the one that the movie Christmas with the Kranks was based on.

Anonymous said...

I've seen the darling angel book--but our favorite here is still "Who is coming to our house" where the animals ready the stable for Mary, Joseph & Jesus.

Rosemary said...

Hi Becky,
Love those babies, so cute.
I really like A Christmas Carol.
Hope you are having a great day!!
Rosemary

Bobbie said...

Oh... and how could I forget. My father wrote a beautiful Christmas book years ago about a series of events in his own childhood. It's out of print now, but it's still my favorite. Yes, even if he weren't my father, it would still be my favorite: A Hired Man's Christmas.

Anonymous said...

hi becky it's your uncle roger and debbie;
we enjoy your blogs
yes you guessed it

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hey Uncle Roger and Aunt Debbie! And Patricia! It's like a family reunion! Now where's the Mississippi Mud Cake? Give yourselves hugs for me!

I'm loving all these book ideas, everybody!

Jojo said...

Becky, There are two many GREAT things to do during the holidays and reading is yet another thing that I would love to be able to curl up and do but alas...bake, decorate, shop, wrap, etc. Thank goodness for the Hallmark channel - it replays holiday movies in the late evening so I have gotten to see plenty of Christmas movies before going to bed.

Anonymous said...

I really liked "The Cat who Came for Christmas".

Adrienne said...

I like The Gift of The Magi illustrated by Lizbeth Zwerger - the illustrations are beautiful.

May Vanderbilt said...

Wait, somehow you forgot my favorite Christmas book.

A Cajun Night Before Christmas!

http://www.amazon.com/Cajun-Night-Before-Christmas/dp/0882899406/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

Kelly H-Y said...

Ohhh, I love all your picks! How fun to see a different list than what we've been reading! Our list of Christmas favorites (children's books) is on my blog ... it's been fun going through the books, remembering what makes each so special!

Kat said...

Oh my word! Those babies are too cute. :)

a Tonggu Momma said...

Most of my favorites made it on your list. For children, I also love "The Night of Las Posadas" by Tomie De Paolo, "The Little Drummer Boy" by Ezra Jack Keats, "The Polar Express" by Chris Van Allsburg and "The Christmas Play" by Clare Bevan, which is little known book that is similar to "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever," but for the preschool set. Can you tell I used to teach kindergarten?

Susan Sandmore said...

So many to choose from! When I was a kid, it was those huge Christmas Treasury books my mother always bought from Reader's Digest. Full of stories like "Christmas Every Day."

My kids like Dream Snow (Eric Carle) and Jan Brett's books . . .

Renee said...

One beautiful book is 'Angela's Christmas'. Geez, I think that is the name. It is written by Frank McCourt, the author who wrote Angela's Ashes.

xoxoxo

Thanks for the lovely posts as Christmas books are a personal addiction of mine.

Love Renee

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Thanks everyone! I'm thrilled to have new books on my list!