Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A List of Lists

Today's Wonder of the World is...Lists!

Flickr photo by Lost Star
I'm a list maker. Are you one too?
Or maybe list makers drive you nuts--the way they leave their lists everywhere, written on little scraps of paper or on the backs of receipts and envelopes.
Not that I would ever do that. No, no. Not me.

But if I did engage in that slightly obsessive behavior, I would certainly check my shopping cart before leaving the Bi-Lo. Or else my shopping list might end up in a book like this...

Have you seen this? Who would think that a coffee table book full of people's left behind shopping lists could be so hilarious? We sat around my in-laws' house last summer reading it to each other and laughing our heads off. Either it was really funny, or the 97 degree temperature had broiled our brains.

I also find this list funny. In a pitiful way.

Flickr photo by Wendy2000
Aww, poor thing! Give your spirit a hug for me.

Maybe you need to get your mind off all those broken things. Why don't you work on your bucket list? You know, make a list of all the things you'd like to do in life before you kick the bucket.
You could start by seeing this movie.

Or maybe not. I haven't seen it yet, but I love Jack and Morgan. Please someone, tell me if it's good.

Of all the things on my bucket list, living in France was near the top. It changed my life! In fact I'm still in love with France, as if you couldn't tell.

That reminds me of another list! This one, here. The folks at blogs.com were kind enough to ask me to contribute a list of my favorite Francophile blogs. I was happy to oblige, to share the cool places I visit when I'm feeling homesick for la belle vie. I typed up a list lickety split, sent it off, and they published it. And then I remembered all these other cool sites I left out. Couldn't I spread a little more linky love? Betty at La France Profonde and Cuisine Quotidienne is another of my go-to bloggers for France, and I love the French tidbits at my friend Barb's blog, The French Elements. I also enjoy sitting in on Parisienne Farmgirl's French lessons with her little one. I'd put all those bloggers on Pere Noel's good list, bien sur!
(Sorry, French accent police.)

Flickr photo by #anne#
Wait! What are all those good and bad checks for on Santa's list? Does that mean that he spot checks? Ooh boy, it makes me wonder which list I'm on.
Maybe I should write him a letter to ask, like this little one did.

Flickr photo by childplay
Am I on the nice? Please check Yes or No.

If I make the nice list, I'd love Santa to tappety tap tap over here to Etsy and buy me this!

Photo by mindseyecards.etsy.com
It's perfect! No more lists on the backs of envelopes for me!
Maybe.

How about you? Are lists the only way you survive the busy holiday season? Or are you one of those ridiculously together people who go with the flow and everything falls together? (I love you anyway. And I'm not the least bit bitter.)

Have a wonder-full Tuesday, y'all!
Love, Becky

PS. I almost forgot one more list I LOVE! That list on my sidebar of you nutty folks who follow my blog! How do I love you? Let me count the ways...okay, so I'm a little too tuckered out right now from all this list making to count the ways, but trust me--there are a lot of them! If you're not on the list, feel free to join in!

23 comments:

LW said...

I really enjoyed the Movie "The Bucket List". It was not what I was expecting.
I would definitely put it on your list…

Right now, I am working on the to do Christmas list…

Louise

Jojo said...

I live by lists and they continually clutter my desk. Maybe what I should add "clean up your lists to my list."

I keep 2 steno pads with lists and a giant cube with sticky backing where I post my immediate to-dos. My favorite things are index cards - I generally use these to make my "honey-do lists" since index cards are harder to misplace. You will frequently see these very special lists posted over the coffee maker at our house so that my dear honey will be constantly reminded of his to-dos. In fact I have just listed 2 new to-dos for today just before I read your post. It was so exciting to find that Google has added a notepad task list option that I have now added to my Google home page. I now have 7 new items on the electronic list. In Microsoft outlook, I love the task lists because the feature allows you to cross things off the list. Oh to be able to cross things off! Gotta go now and work through my list!

Bobbie said...

I can't think of lists without thinking of my late father who always kept a small stack of index cards in his shirt pocket to make notes and lists. When we were kids, those lists were of Saturday chores we had to complete. As we got older, they were simply his lists of things he wanted to do or write about or research. He never ever wore a shirt w/out a pocket because without those lists, he'd have been lost.

I'm a list maker now, too, but not nearly as organized as he was. My lists are on scraps of paper scattered around my computer.

And checking out your blog is always right near the top of that list. Thanks for another morning of warm memories.

Rosemary said...

Hi Becky,
Yes I am a list maker, in fact I was just going to make a Christmas to do list this morning.
Thanks for another great post!!
Rosemary

David Ebright said...

Have to admit to being a list maker - even at work. I use a spiral notebook. Last December, Deb & I made up lists in a notebook - independently - to map out what we wanted to accomplish, improve on, house projects, personal goals etc. Then we compared notes, talked about everything & then prioritized & consolidated. The overlap in goals & ideas was astounding - proof that we're usually on the same "page" (after 33 years of marital bliss - that's a good thing). So far this year we've managed to accomplish about 80% of our goals or projects, though some will always be works in progress.

Angela K. Nickerson said...

I make lots and lots of lists! I buy a day book in Italy each year and write my lists in there. I always know where they are, and there is great joy in crossing items off those lists.

One more list I love: all of the travel bloggers doing Passports with Purpose.
Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/aknpwp
Buy a raffle ticket, and you'll be on the Nice List for sure! :)

Unknown said...

Well, Becky, your blog is on my list of fun blogs to read! That coffee table book does look like a fun one, too! I know I do much better when I keep lists, too! I seem to be much more organized! That reminds me...maybe I had better make a list of all the lists I need to write, LOL!

Adrienne said...

The broken things list cracked me up! I like how right after 'both computers' it says 'lawn mower' and 'other lawn mower'...

Why didn't she just write 'both lawn mowers'?

I'm fascinated by shopping lists, too - I'm going to have to look for that book!

Kim said...

Thanks for your list of Francophile blogs...now I'll have even fewer hours of the day to get anything done! My first visit, saw your blog on Green Girl.

Anonymous said...

As a confirmed lister since 1992, I loved this post. Things that are broken...that's a list I should start...

CC said...

My list-i-ness comes and goes.

But that reminds me that I need to make a to-do list and grocery list today!!!!

ForCryingOutLoud said...

Yay! A fellow list maker! I thought I could organize mine by using a Franklin Planner, instead of the million notes hanging around. Didn't work. There's just something about those paper scraps with crossed out words, which I must love to see in every room. I even keep paper and pen in the "toilette" zone!

Hey! Do you write yours in French? They'd be sooooo international! - "Nathan's little sister", aka: Liz

Kim said...

I'm in Clemsongirl's (www.clemsongirlandthecoach.blogspot.com) Christmas Exchange. I grew up in Nebraska (and went to NU), but I've lived in Georgia for almost 25 yrs and my daughters go to Georgia Tech.

lotusgirl said...

Lists! Now that's something I can get behind! I love them, and I put them on everything that's handy with whatever writing implement I can find. Crayon--no problem!

Thanks for the links to the french sites. I'll have to check those out.

As for "The Bucket List," it is one of my favorite movies. Hilarious (as you'd expect) and really poignant. I'd put it at the top of your "to be viewed" list asap.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Where on earth would I be without mine!

Unknown said...

"The Bucket List" was a wonderful movie -- funny with a strong message. I loved it! We all need bucket lists.

Alexandra MacVean said...

I'm a list maker, too. And I was thinking...maybe I need to add Vodka to my milk and eggs list! ;) hahahahaha

*hugs*

May Vanderbilt said...

I love lists too! If I don't enlist their help, I fall to pieces and part of the fun is foraging for a scrap of paper to write them on!

Anonymous said...

WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT MY LISTS?!?!?!

Querulous Squirrel said...

The variety of lists is astonishing. I have to keep changing my form so I'll notice my lists. They are posts on the bathroom mirror, stuck to lamps, sticking out of my pocketbook and still...still...I went to the store yesterday and, a mother's crime of crimes, FORGOT TO GET BUTTER.

Betty Carlson said...

Thanks for the mention! I am definitely a list-maker, although my household lists have gone down the drain, so to speak. I have a great list system for work, though.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I am a total list maker, although I would never make a bucket list.... or, at least not a bucket list like that one. I don't think I'll be skydiving anytime soon.

Barb said...

Hi Becky,

Aren't you a sweetie! You are on the top of my list (subscribe).

I am a list maker and very proud of it-hehe. The problem is that sometimes I leave the list at home. I do come home with some interesting things, just not what was on the original list.

hugs,
Barb