Thursday, December 4, 2008

Aye Marimba!

Today's Wonder of the World is the Marimba!

Flickr photo by jeen-dee-ann-dree-uh
How I love to hear someone play a marimba!
It takes me right back to romantic Mozambique (not that I've ever been there.) Or maybe to a Japanese television show!

It's the Marimba Ponies! What talented kids.
They're not the only talented kids around. Know who else plays a mean marimba?

My niece Amelia! There she is concentrating on a different sort of instrument.
She may be all grown up now, but she'll always be the Amelia of 1998 to me...

This one! Big Sister Amelia, trying to keep her triplet sisters in line. As you can see, it's a tough job. No wonder her hands can fly.

I've been thinking about the marimba because I was just talking with Amelia about it over Thanksgiving (which means I cornered her and forced her to listen to me reminisce about the marimba of my childhood.) Have I never told you about the marimba of my childhood?
Well, what are we waiting for?!
(No! Don't leave! It'll be short--I promise!)

I'm pretty positive that my Granny Skaggs was the only person in the hills and hollers of eastern Kentucky that had a marimba in her basement. My Uncle Lynn brought it back from his travels around the world with the Navy, and my brother and I used to dance around with the mallets and drive everyone crazy with marimba noise every time we came to visit.

That's all.
See that wasn't so bad, was it?

Amelia, I should celebrate your marimba talents with a marimba cake. Who wants the marshmallow mallets?

Flickr photo by kellylenze
Did you know that marimbas originated in Africa, and then were brought to South America in the sixteenth century? (Mr. Wikipedia says so.)

Here's one in Guatamala. Made out of GOURDS! (You know I love the gourd.)

Public domain photo
Except that marimba looks sort of...in pain. I don't know. Don't those gourds look a little engourdged to you?
Ouch.

Let's change the subject.
How about some more marimba music! Forties style!
Enjoy, y'all! And have a wonder-full Thursday!

Love, Becky

17 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Man, what a post! I loved it. Not only are the children awesome, but those forties cats are crazy. I am dying in laughter from that bass player. So very, very, cool. Thanks.

Suzie said...

eeewww engorged gourds

Adrienne said...

Those Marimba Ponies are amazing and adorable! Thanks for posting that.

LW said...

What a fun post, I loved all the music..
What a hoot those girls were in the forties.

No marimba
players here, but we do have a glockenspiel player.

Louise

Unknown said...

Hey Becky those were some fascinating Marimba facts you had there.
The engourdged marimba player may have looked like it was in pain, but the Marimba player on the left side of that photo looked like he/she was in even more pain and the one on the left like she was enjoying the whole thing...hmmmm...very odd, indeed!
That 40's style Marimba vid was fun. 5 loved the dresses!

Linda Summerfield said...

I played the marimbas in the 5th grade Dicken Combo, we even made an album. Why didn't I ever get a marimba cake as a kid??? My dreams of joining Xavier Cogat's band were dashed at an early age, I was scared of chihuahuas.

David Ebright said...

The bass player was a riot - the original "head banger" ... or maybe he was Starbucks first customer .... I dunno.

CC said...

A Marimba cake? Cool!

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

I love the name Amelia. I'm trying to talk the husband into letting me name our kid that if it happens to be a girl. He's not sold.

That ghord Marimba was scary.

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

I totally butchered the word "gourd". Pregnancy brain for ya.

Barb said...

Hi Becky,

What a fun post. It absolutely has made my day! Adorable children (and adults).

hugs,
Barb

the Amateur Book Blogger said...

Too funny - the bass player goes wild! And take up playing the maracas for great upper arm tone, look at that lady play at head height, for minutes... Fun Becky, thank you - made me laugh!

May Vanderbilt said...

Okay, this brings up so many questions for me. Is a xylophone a marimba? What about a glockenspiel?
For some reason, I got to play the glockenspiel in elementary school in music class and I loved it.

This reminds of me of that whole, Is a square a rhombus nightmare...

Jojo said...

Realizing that you love gourds, I don't mean to offend, but the are looking a bit like udders rather tan a musical instrument. I have to agree with Suzie's post!

Rosemary said...

Very cool Rebecca!!
Have a wonderful evening!
Rosemary

Fete et Fleur said...

The marimba holds a very old memory for me. I was once courted by a marimba player!

Nancy

Parisbreakfasts said...

Your blog belongs at the top of the 10 most FUN blogs!