Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Passports With A Purpose!

Today's Wonder of the World is...the Passport!

Flickr photo by wrld_trvlr
Feel like traveling?
You're in the right place!

Welcome to Wonders Never Cease's first ever Progressive Blog Post--kind of like a blog party, but with just two stops, and you've already made it to one of them.
There's a VERY SPECIAL reason I'm posting about passports today.
You'll see shortly!
We'll ruminate over passports here (you know I love to ruminate! It's so much better than ironing!) and then we'll hop over to Just Go! where my buddy Angela Nickerson will fill you in on the Purpose part of Passports with a Purpose! Have you met Angela yet? She wrote Michelangelo's Rome, a beautiful book that's both a cool travel guide and a fascinating biography.

Every time I flip through the pages I want to hop on a plane to Italy!

Now, on to the rumination!

Passports have been around for a long long time. Don't believe me? Check out Nehemiah 2:7-9.

Do you know where the word passport comes from? I bet if you're a French student you do... a passport lets you pass through la porte--the door, or in medieval times, the city gate.

My favorite thing to do with my passport (besides travel, of course) is to examine all the stamps.

Flickr photo by ds598
That, and gaze upon my children's old passport photos.

What babies I had when we first moved to France!

Looks like I'm not the only one who has problems with squinting.

Flickr photo by geeksara
My cat Katie didn't need a passport, but she did need a visa. But that's another story...

Getting a good passport photo can be a challenge!
That's why some governments produce helpful photo guides.

Flickr photo by gps1941
For some reason, this makes me roll on the floor with laughter!

I guess it's like driver's license pictures...some turn out better than others.

Flickr photo by zapatos
At least Mickey doesn't look Goofy.
(Ha ha.)


Flickr photo by benoit.deckmyn
Mr. Bean looks quite goofy, but he's happy that way.
You may have noticed that I haven't shared any of my old passport photos. It's because I could be Mr. Bean's sister.

I often wish we could return to passports like this one from China.

Public domain photo
Isn't it a work of art?

Passport covers can be works of art too. You can find loads of them at Etsy, of course.
Like these, over here.

Photo from StarlitNestGifts.etsy.com
Ah, passports. They allow us to broaden our world and become more invested members of the human family.
Now, hop over to Just Go! where Angela can show you a really cool way to broaden your world and get involved, whether you own an active passport or not!

But before you hop, tell me your passport stories! Are you a squinter too?

Have a wonder-full Wednesday, y'all!
Love, Becky

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your post and just adore that suit case at the top!! I am in need of a passport, ashamed to say it run out four years ago!! need to get one, thanks for the tips on photo taking, your blog made me smile take care fiona

Anonymous said...

I think they must use "ugly cameras" for passport and drivers license photos. Have you ever seen anyone look good? A few years ago, we traveled through a few countries in Europe and none of them stamped our passports! I was so disappointed, I too love the stamps.

Ronnie said...

You crack me up!!!!
I too was rolling on the floor laughing at the reject passport photos. Does this make me wierd? You tell me. Then, when done laughing, I scrolled down to read, "this makes me roll on the floor laughing..."
And I cracked up AGAIN! HAAH HAaaa!
Great and very colorful and informative post, Becky. Now it's on to step two. Woo Hoo! What fun! The perfect reason to avoid doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
Ronnie - in a small town in Georgia

Ronnie said...

Added your link to my morning post. Are those helpful photo guides for real? Where DID you find them?
Still giggling.
R

savvycityfarmer said...

I needed this belly laugh with my morning coffee.

Thanks dearie, for such innovative blogging

Unknown said...

Ah, Yes, I just won a quilted passport cover from Thimbleanna last October! I've yet to go anywhere truly exciting! :)

Rosemary said...

Hi Rebecca,
My big step toward going to France was to get my passport. I did that.
Now I have to get the courage to get on the plane.
Have a great day!
Rosemary

Suzie said...

Ahh now I know why they wouldnt reissue me passport I need to take off the head wrapping before I take the picture. Thanks

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hi Fiona. Ooh Lordy, don't take any of my photo taking advice. The driver's license lady did NOT think it was funny that I had to retake my photo over and over--I couldn't help it! I blink.

Caren, I agree! Why don't they give out more stamps? How much trouble would it be, and it'd make us so happy!

Hey Ronnie, That's funny. Sounds like we share the same sense of humor, you poor thing! And yes, I believe they're real! I found it on Flickr. If you want, you can go to flickr.com and find the pic by searching for the photographer. (His name is below the picture.)
You are a sweetie.

Cityfarmer, glad I could oblige! Hope the coffee was good!

Tattingchic, a knitted cover? I bet it's pretty. You must get traveling!

You can do it Rosemary! I wish I had tickets--I'd go with you in a snap.

Hey Susie. I live to inform.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Ronnie, I just found that guide online. If you google german passport photo brochure and then click on the first choice, then scroll down a bit to click on sample photos, you'll find them. So yes! They're definitely real!
Truth is always stranger than fiction.

Adrienne said...

Those guidelines are hilarious!
I'm gonna put renewing the passports on my to do list. Better to be ready in case we win a lottery or something!

Angela K. Nickerson said...

Thanks, Becky, for supporting Passports with Purpose! And thank you all, lovely readers, for spreading the word! Merry Christmas!

Susan said...

I don't have a passport, but this time when I went to have my driver's license photo taken, I started smiling before I set down and make sure my eyes were open wide, all while the lady was getting ready. She thought I was a nut, but the photo looks great.

Renee said...

Becky your children are beautiful.

My newest passport is a picture of me with almost no hair from chemo.

Can you believe I have to show that at airports.

It really doesn't matter, I am glad to be alive and glad to use it.

Have a good day.

Renee

aliceinparis said...

A fun and imformative post! I love passports too:) I noticed that my birthday is scarily close to Mr. Bean's :)))

Anonymous said...

Of all my documents, I confess I like my passport the best. Even better than my marriage license and my kids' birth certs.

Susie Q said...

I had such fun with this post...you are such a total hoot!
You are so wonderful!

Love,
Sue

jama said...

Congratulations, Becky. I just gave you a Butterfly Award for Coolest Blog!!
http://jamarattigan.livejournal.com/212265.html.

Linda Summerfield said...

My passport is rather pristine, I would love to break it in with a bit more world travel!

lotusgirl said...

I love the stamps in the passport too. I wish I had more in mine. I need to do more traveling abroad. My new passport is practically blank.

The last time I did passport pictures I refused to use them. They were so heinous. I got new pictures taken to send off. I had to pay for them all over, but it was so worth it. I never thought I was all that vain, but, apparently, I am.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hey y'all.
Jama, aren't you kind! I'm touched by the butterfly award! Thank you! You made my day!

May Vanderbilt said...

I LOVE to go over and over my passport stamps but the one thing I always conclude is: not enough!

I got the coolest ones in Thailand and China. They're so flowery and pretty.

And good work on getting all progressive. Woo! Let's all do our part!

Jojo said...

How much fun and I love the French lesson. I am about to use my passport though I haven't posted anything about it. We are going to Beirut, leaving on Christmas day. Reading this post got me a little more excited!!!

Pocket Full of Prettys said...

Hi Rebecca, I got my passport some years ago, but never got to go to Italy as planned. So maybe someday. Hope you have a Merry Christmas! Hugs***Renea

Pocket Full of Prettys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CC said...

Those pics of your kids are precious! Way better than my kids' passport photos. My husband FINALLY submitted for a new one. I've spent 6 months trying to get him to send it in!