Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday Weirdness

Today's Wonder of the World is...Holiday Weirdness!

Flickr photo by Effata
Because nothing says Merry Christmas like naked shrimp.
Or sausages hanging from the tree.

Flickr photo by lemmingby
Don't you love weird holiday traditions? I do!
Like this tree.

Flickr photo by EvaMen
The photo is a little blurry, but can you tell what those are?
Hint: They wouldn't need any "Our First Christmas Together" ornaments!

I think most Christmas weirdness is fun, but honestly I just don't get this.

Flickr photo by Katie Aaberg
Aack! It's Krampus! Saint Nicholas, don't just stand there! Do something!
He's got his icky tongue near that sack of babies!
(And by the way, what else is in that sack? Are there more babies out of sight? They can breathe in there, can't they?)
Do you know about Krampus? It's an alpine thing, I believe. He hangs out with Santa, just waiting to catch any bad little girls and boys. We met him--or his French twin--when we vacationed after Christmas in Alsace back in our French life. He appeared out of nowhere at a dinner theater and scared my children half to death. We had nightmares for weeks! Thanks a lot, Krampus.

You know, I wonder if this Christmas elf is related to Krampus?

Flickr photo by tumblewieds
Awfully cute, but she looks a little naughty.
I should warn the Big Guy about her.
Oh yeah, I can't. He's out riding his lobster.

Flickr photo by Caviar

Do you enjoy outdoor Christmas shellfish during the holiday season? What about any other weird traditions this time of year? Come on, I know you have some! Please share!

I'll go first.
Last weekend we made the half hour trek out to Pelzer, South Carolina, (population 101, as of 2007) to see something I'd always heard about but never experienced. The circling helicopters should have given us a clue...it was quite the holiday hot spot!
Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce you to...
The Light People!

Sorry the photo is so blurry, but I was sort of in a daze from all the bulbage!
The light people wrap themselves with Christmas lights and stand in their yard and wave! That's it!
But it's not just any yard. Their house rivals Clark Griswold's!

I'm afraid the photos don't do it justice.

Anyway, we came home and drank hot chocolate and tried not to feel ashamed of the pitiful light display in our front yard.

Poor dears!
So now it's your turn!
What wacko things do people do to celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah in your part of the world? What about in your own household?
While you're thinking, those deer have reminded me about Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey, maybe the weirdest Christmas song around!
Enjoy!
And my apologies to Italian donkeys everywhere.

Have a wonder-full Thursday, everybody!
Love, Becky

20 comments:

Adrienne said...

Funny and weird! My kids would have been freaked out by Krumpus, too. There have got to be better ways to get them to behave...

Unknown said...

I love the little dears in your yard; make that "deer" or the little dear deer in your yard! Think how much LESS your energy bill will be this year compared to theirs! Now, THAT should make you feel better! That photo of Santa out riding on his lobster is pretty funny!

Anonymous said...

Christmas is love pass it on..stop by and pick up logo...xxoo Denise

LW said...

That donkey song is too funny.
My Sicilian donkeys accept your apology..

I also enjoyed your passport post, that is a great idea..

Louise

Rosemary said...

Very fun post today Becky!!
Guess what? It's 36 right now in Southern California. That is holiday weirdness!!
Have a great day!!
Rosemary

lotusgirl said...

I thought you had really lost it when I saw the "Merry Christmas" shrimp. This is hilarious. I can't really think of anything too weird that we do. We're a pretty conservative crowd. My mom always makes a coconut soup cake for Jesus' birthday and has us sing him the Happy Birthday Song. I would say that's a little different. I'm not sure how she came up with coconut soup cake except maybe that we all love it so much that surely Jesus would approve. I'm looking forward too it. It's the only time of year we get it.

lotusgirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

I'm a bit unusual. As I celebrate Christmas, I honor the conception as well as the birth. Since we always the follow the food laws, there is no hams or shrimps or sausage for us, just to mention a few foods that I avoid and that always made co-workers whisper at the traditional office luncheon.

Ronnie said...

La La La Jiggidy Jiggidy Jig!
I'll have trouble shaking that all day! Our Christmas is fairly normal, except Joe always puts Lottery tickets in everyone's stocking. No win yet. New Year's the family dresses in costume for a big bash held at my Mom's where we can do fireworks. Last year it was a Pirate party. This years it's Barbarians and eating with our hands.

steve said...

Krampus would be a great name for a punk rock band.

Anonymous said...

So weird! Christmas had an ugly side, doesn't it?

Cat Moleski said...

I love your blog. My parents grew up in Canada and when they came to the US they tried very hard to be good Americans, so we had a very traditional Christmas, no funny business. But when I had my own first Christmas tree, I decided to hang a fish ornament on it and still do now. Maybe a throwback to early Christian symbolism? Who knows. I just like to have a fish on my tree. Now I have two.

May Vanderbilt said...

Holy cow that was a weird donkey song! But the wikipedia on it is quite fascinating! Becky, I wish I could give you a hug. That made my day.

When I was in Hong Kong a few weeks ago, I learned that they LOVE weird Christmas stuff. Santa was all skinny and riding skate boards. haha

Also have you heard of that weird German tradition where they hide a pickle ornament on the tree and the first one who finds it gets money?

CC said...

I think the sausage on the tree was the weirdest thing there. I can just imagine the meat going bad.

Can't think of really strange traditions around here, but I'll keep my eyes open for some!

Kelly H-Y said...

Your blog never ceases to make me laugh out loud ... I love it ... and I always learn so many interesting facts! :-) By the way ... your deers are lovely.

Anonymous said...

yes. the holidays definitely leaves the door WIDE OPEN for the strangest of ideas...!!!

Kat said...

Holiday weirdness, indeed! That first picture really made me laugh.

I'm thinking, but I don't recall anything too weird done in our family. Hmmm. Maybe we'll have to start something. ;)

Alexandra MacVean said...

Good evening, Rebecca. What's up with the shrimp and Merry Christmas??! :) LOL

Hope you're having a good week.

*hugs*

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

It just isn't Christmas until Santa rides in on his lobster.
;-)

Happy Holidays!

Jenn Hubbard

Jessica Newhall said...

What I want to know is how in the name of all that’s Christmas did those oversized oh-so- tacky and more than slightly creepy blow up lawn decorations become acceptable? And not just acceptable. Dare I say, popular? I imagine this disturbing decorating trend starting as perhaps some sort of Santa fetish; a blow up doll that’s found its way mainstream... And then there's the question of how it passed the common sense test. The decision to tether gigantic air-filled sacks in the front yard during one of the windiest months of the year just doesn't seem like the wisest.


What a metaphor for what Christmas has become; cheap, empty and plastic. I won’t be another one of those people who rant about the commercialization of Christmas except to say I’m sure it just warms Christ’s cockles to have his birthday turned into the plastic debt of plastic people for plastic perchases. Nothing says Christmas quite like “Made in Taiwan.”