Friday, April 30, 2010

It's Prom Season, Y'all!


Did you go to your high school prom?
I didn't. I claimed it was because the whole thing was silly. Too full of drama and materialism.
(It probably also had something to do with the fact that my boyfriend and I broke up two months before prom night. Ha ha.)
But after last weekend I can't help feeling I missed out on something special.
It was my middle child's turn to go. You know, this little guy.

Lucky for him, he had quite an audience to document the festivities. Granddaddy Yes and Mama Judy were in town, and Sarah came home from college, just to see him in his tux.
Yey Ben! More people to take your picture and meet your girlfriend!

Cameras ready, everyone?

First photo?
Tux boy with dog.

Notice the leash. Tanner's hair has an evil ability to suck itself onto any black clothing within a six inch distance, so I stood ready to give it a good yank.
Luckily, no dog hair calamities occurred.

In fact, no calamities occurred of any kind. It was a fairy tale night, complete with a gorgeous young lady and a handsome prince. :)


So share, everybody. Tell me all about your prom! Suddenly I have a yearning for tafetta and rosebuds!
Love, Becky

PS. Enjoy this favorite pre-prom scene from Gilmore Girls. Love it.

14 comments:

Jenny said...

Awww, your son looks so handsome and I find it funny that he too is conscious of the dog hair as he is leaning in but not too close. I did go to my prom and I hate to say barely remember it. I went with friends, was a geek in general, and came home by 11pm, yep, a nerd. But, I love Gilmore Girls and Mrs. Kim rules.

Anonymous said...

what a good-looking couple! I did go to prom my junior year--it was a horrible, horrible night. And I was even on prom court. At least I can say I've been there and done that.

Unknown said...

Isn't if fun to see your jeans and t-shirt wearing kid all cleaned up for prom! He looks great! Here's a link to our prom princess! http://oklahomansread.blogspot.com/2010/04/presenting-our-last-senior-prom.html

Fete et Fleur said...

He's beautiful! You must be so proud!!

Nancy

Jojo said...

What a wonderful memory for all. It is always such a comfort to learn that others did not attend their prom. At the time it was such a lonely evening but I've learned that there were lots of us at home that night. So glad your family could all celebrate the occasion together!

A lovely couple indeed.

Angie Muresan said...

What a handsome boy you have, Becky.

Don't feel bad, I didn't go to prom either. We had just moved from one state to another, and I didn't know anyone.

Vagabonde said...

I grew up in France so we did not have proms, at least then, I don’t know if they have them now, I kind of doubt it. But both my daughters went to a prom and they looked beautiful and had a great time. I think it would have been fun. My parents had a big party for my 18th birthday with hundreds of people, a disc jockey and I had a long dress, but it’s not quite the same thing.

Unknown said...

I LOVE GILMORE GIRLS! Written by women, about women, for women.

I went to prom all four years. Some might call me a prom addict and I had fun every time. I think the key is to just go with friends. Those were my best years.

I can't believe how grown up Ben is!

Gina M Smith said...

HI Becky- Long time no see- I have been delinquent in absentia (that means really bad) about blog-reading. Such great pics- how can your kids be this old now? Good memories for you and them! Made me think, too.

Adrienne said...

That's a lovely couple!
I did go to my prom, to see what all the fuss was about. I didn't get an answer, but I'm glad I went anyway.

judy in ky said...

I went to four proms! First, when I was a sophomore when a senior asked me. He and I were just friends, nothing remotely romantic involved. Second, my own junior prom (we had a junior prom and a senior prom at my school). I went with my boyfriend who was one year older, who graduated and moved away to join the Air Force. Third, my own senior prom, with a boyfriend who went to another school, then his senior prom at his school. HIs school was bigger and fancier and they actually had a live band. (At my school, just a DJ.) We had little dance cards, and he filled in every dance. I still have it. We were home by midnight for all of them, because that was in the days before all-night parties.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Love these memories! Thank you for sharing them!!

Taryn said...

Hi! I just found your blog and love it, and thought I'd share that I'm a mom of a Tanner dog too :)

CC said...

I love GG!!

I was on the prom committee at school, but I never actual went. I was off at some debate tournament...