Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Butt Drugs and Other Commercials I LOVE.


Homemade commercials used to drive me nuts. You know the kind I'm talking about. The ones that make you reach for the remote. The ones with the guys in used car lots, waving their arms around and yelling at the camera.

But ever since Rhett and Link came into my life, I'm in love with the genre. Remember Rhett and Link? I've included them in several previous posts.

Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal are North Carolina boys, life long best friends, and self-proclaimed "Internetainers." They're also heroes to my son Sam, who chastised me all the way to school today for putting up this blog post before he has a chance to read it over and make sure I got everything right. Can you tell he's probably their biggest fan? He checks out their blog every single day, and updates me on any Rhett and Link news.

But the Ramseys aren't their only fans. Now that word has gotten out about their ingenious commercials, Ellen came calling, and so did George Lopez. And no wonder! Take a look at the commercial Ellen featured on her show.


Crazy, huh?
I love that they use the real people who own the businesses or work there or shop there. They capture what the community is like, and they do it in a quirky, funny way. Their commercials do more than sell a product. They tell a story.
Sometimes it's a weird, slightly frightening story, but it's always funny.



Here's their first commercial to win my heart. I can't get enough of it.

That just cracks me up. George Lopez liked it so much that he got Rhett and link to make a commercial for his favorite local business, Donut Prince.
You've got to watch it.



Isn't that darling?
There are so many good ones, but sharing more than four is probably excessive.
You can always check them out at ilovelocalcommercials.com.

So what do you think of these ads? Personally, I'd much rather watch Rhett and Link's commercials than most shows on TV!

Have a great day, y'all!
Love,
Becky

PS. Sam will probably tie me to a kitchen chair and lecture me for days on end if I don't give a shout out to our all time favorite documentary, Looking for Ms Locklear. It's another Rhett and Link production and we first saw it on PBS, before we became Rhett and Link crazy. It's won tons of awards. Take a look!

8 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I love you.
You win! You are the first person to make me laugh today, and the world makes sense... I was a big fan of the mobile home commercial, but it did not occur to me that there were more out there. Now I am immersed in commercial love. Truly. Awesome. Thank you. I am going to rip off this entire post (credit to you, naturally) and share it at Chickenblog. I feel like I just found treasure.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I have GOT to see this Locklear documentary! It looks fabulous. I've never heard of Rhett and Link before... thanks so much for the introduction! I always discover something new and wonderful here with you.

Jenny said...

Thank you for the proper introduction. I love this kind of stuff and those two fellas should be proud that they are putting whimsical, authentic entertainment out there, their way, that appreciates and does not belittle in any way. How fun! sort of makes me think of Mike Leonard and his quirky segments on the Today show and especially his book with DVD "the ride of our lives". Also heartwarming fun stuff. Thank you.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Natalie, I love you too! Feel free to rip off whatever you like! And you already had seen the mobile home one? That's great!

Pamela, you really must see it. I know this sounds corny, but it's really a beautiful film. It shows how extraordinary ordinary people are--and how everyone has an interesting story to tell. It's funny and touching and you'll love it.

Jenny, you're quite welcome. And you touched on exactly the reason I love their work. Rhett and Link truly enjoy the people they meet. It shows!

Anonymous said...

You know what I love? That America is still alive. These guys are showing the pockets of uniqueness. We haven't become one giant paved over stream of strip malls and big box stores and same fast food restaurants. Bravo for their work!

Kat said...

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! Those are AWESOME! The Red House furniture store one cracks me UP!!! Love it.

My fav is definitely the donut one. HAHAHA!!! They are so cute!!!

Rosemary said...

Hi Rebecca,
I was just thinking about you yesterday.
Commercials like those are the best!!
You always find the best and funniest stuff.
Thanks for the nice visit!!
Chat soon,
Rosemary

Angie Muresan said...

Oh! Hahaha. These are hilarious!