Thursday, September 25, 2008

Danger, Will Robinson! *

Today's Wonder of the World is...the Robot!

Flickr photo by m r harvey
Do those old fashioned robots make you as happy as they make me?
I started thinking about robots yesterday, when I wrote about Old Funnel-Head here.

Flickr photo by Finstr
He's taking a bus! Is he on the way to Kansas because he can't get Dorothy out of his head?
He should never have discovered that romantic heart of his.
And I should never have had that third cup of coffee.

Speaking of robot romance...
The first robot I fell in love with was Rosie, of Jetson's fame. It wasn't a romantic love. She was more like a mother figure.
(Don't get me wrong. I had a wonderful human mother of my own. Hey Mom!)
Anyway...didn't you love Rosie?

Flickr photo by kerrytoonz
Rosie, you look sad to me. Maybe it's because Mr. J conned you into making a commercial--and then insulted your cooking on national TV!

Poor Rosie! That kind of robot exploitation makes me sick to my stomach! I think I need a Tums.
If you came to work at my house, I'd never exploit you.

I always thought we'd have housekeeper robots by now, didn't you?
I still want one to serve me drinks

Flickr photo by sanchome
and mail my letters,

Flickr photo by The Fifth Element
to do my gardening

Flickr photo by mavra chang
and solve my puzzles.

Flickr photo by utopian29
(But not my pigsaw ones!)
And I'd let it do my vacuuming.

Flickr photo by merriewells
I might consider buying a vacuum like that, but Tanner would eat it.
You think I'm kidding.
You don't know my dog.
Hey look! The cat and the robot made friends!

Flickr photo by Hytok
But since I can't get one, I think I'll settle for this guy.

Flickr photo by Elson Griffith Gallery
Isn't he cute? You can find him at Marianne Elson Griffith's etsy shop, HERE.
He might not make me coffee, but he sure could make me laugh!

Have a Wonder-full Thursday, everyone!
Before you go, have a seat on my psychiatrist's couch and tell me your innermost feelings about robots! Who were your favorites? I'm listening!
Love, Becky

*Confused by the title? Hop over HERE.

14 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Our cat is terrified of our roomba! (And so is the Tongginator!)

Paula Clare said...

Hi Becky!
I knew right away when I saw the title of your post that we were going to be talking about robots! Woohoo! I LOVES me some robots! Check out Scotty over at the PorkchopShow at Etsy...his pins and collages are fabulous! Here's are some of my faves:

http://www.etsy.com/search_results_shop.php?search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_5003523&search_query=robot

I watched the Lost In Space clip...what a blast from the past!

Thanks for the memories!

Unknown said...

I want a roomba and a cat! Maybe if I get them both at the same time they really WILL make friends, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Yes, of everything I dreamed of, I never got a Rosie!

LW said...

Dear old Rosie..
got to love her....

Louise

May Vanderbilt said...

LOST IN SPACE. I don't even need to click on the link. I remember watching this as a child.

And the Jetsons too!

You know, I've said it once I'll say it again, Where is my flying car!? When I was a child, everyone said we'd have them by 2000.

Though my iPhone is pretty cool...

David Ebright said...

I want a mushroom picking french speaking robot that can make funnel cake.

The Robinsons & their cousins the Swiss Family Robinson - what a family tree. I always wondered how many crash landings one family could endure without having dramatic "issues".

Poor June Lockhart. She always looked so sad. Guess she was looking for Timmy & Lassie or maybe the Robinson's insurance premiums were getting to be more than they could afford.

Kat said...

I never realized how much I like robots until you put them up there for me. I love R2D2. And Rosie! Loved her! And C3PO (although he was kinda annoying). And of course that sweet tin man. :)

Fete et Fleur said...

My two favorites: Rosie and Data.
The one from Etsy is a hoot!

Nancy

lotusgirl said...

My faves were Data and AI. I was kind of hoping I'd have me a Rosie by now too! Where's my housekeeping robot!!!?! I need it soooooo bad. Then maybe I could get some writing done.

Since I don't have one I guess I'm going to have to go do the dishes. Sob!

Ooooo. My favorite robot to hate is the Terminator ones. Yikes! those red eyes!

willzmom said...

Great Robots! Do you remember the old Saturday Night Live skit made like a commercial for Robot Insurance? It said that old people are scare of robots so they could buy robot insurance. It was so funny. I love Rosie, I wish she lived in my house!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I'm loving all this robot talk.
And Paula Clare is right. Check out Scotty's shop at www.porkchopshop.etsy.com

Jaxpop, I never connected those two families. Now I'm lost in a Robinson vortex. Whatever that means.

Willzmom, I will have to do a youtube search on the SNL robot insurance. Funny!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Oops, my link didn't work. The address was wrong.
It's:
www.porkchopshow.etsy.com

Jojo said...

So glad to hear from you! Work has been out of control so by the time I get home the last thing I want to do is read OR look at a computer screen. If only I had some robot help from the Jetsons!!! Sad in a way but hoping that things will slow down a bit...I miss my blog friends.

After reading the lightning post, it made me start wishing for a little rain.

Happy Fall.