Monday, January 11, 2010

It's Grits! And Waffle House Fueled Madness!


Don't tell anybody, but I don't exactly care for grits. Unless they're smothered in butter and (prepare yourself...) grape jelly. I know! Sacrilege!
I might not like grits, but I'm HEAD OVER HEELS in love with It's Grits, an old documentary we watched Friday night on PBS.
After it was over, I felt all melty inside, full of buttery love for my fellow South Carolinians, as cantankerous and delightfully stubborn-headed as they can be at times.

I've been trying to figure out why I loved the documentary so much. I didn't grow up eating grits since my parents were foreigners from Kentucky. Did I love the film because it was made back in 1979-81, when I was a mere teen? Was it the choral arrangement? The hokey ode to grits in harmony? The men wearing plaid? The sideburns?
I think it had more to do with the shared passion. Grits brings people together: black folks and white folks, old and young, rich and poor. Just an ordinary breakfast dish, but so important!
I can't tell you how much this blows up my skirt.
Here, take a look and see what I mean.

Love, love, love it.
By the time it was over, I was on the floor, groveling for eggs. Toast. A simple glass of orange juice.
No luck! We'd cleaned out the fridge and the cupboards were bare. I ate 9 saltine crackers and cried myself to sleep.

At 7:15 the next morning, we sped to Waffle House.
To beautiful food like this.

Mercy me.
Todd ate a large bowl of grits. The film inspired him. (He loves them anyway.)
And coffee for two, bien sûr!

It may not be a French café au lait, but that wouldn't fit in at Waffle House anyway. My coffee was perfect as it was, with little thimbles of fake cream.
It's entirely possible that Todd and I may have guzzled down a little too much joe, because when we came home, guess what we did.

WE FINALLY MOVED EVIL REFRIGERATOR!
Here he is in his lovely new habitat...

With a personality transplant to match!
Look, it's the kitchen triangle of my dreams: refrigerator, oven, and sink all within arms reach! As you can see, we're not quite done, but we're getting there.
What? Aren't you excited?
Maybe you've forgotten the Passageway of Pain.
Remember?

Bye bye, Passageway! We could have cha cha lessons in my kitchen! Wanna come over?
You could help me peel wallpaper. My least favorite job.

As soon as I finish peeling and painting, we'll move in the cabinets that are sitting beside me in the office as I type. I won't miss them one bit.

So the moral of this story?
If you need to rid evil appliances from your house, drink a gallon of Waffle House coffee.
And don't forget to eat your grits!
Have a super Monday, y'all!
Love, Becky
PS. If you're as taken with the documentary as I am, you can find more info about it here.

15 comments:

Tana said...

YAy, evil fridge has a new home. And wow you just made me hungry. And i don't even have a saltine to cry myself to sleep with.

Kim said...

Mmm. Know what would go well with my nice big cappuccino (out of my brand-new espresso machine!)? Waffles.
Congrats on getting the fridge moved! The kitchen looks awesome.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the fridge!
I envy you...there are no waffle houses up here in the north and I think they are the coolest thing. Every time I travel south I insist on eating at one.
I don't like grits either, though. I tried them and ICK.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, my husband makes the world's best grits. I adore them. The ultimate comfort food. But grape jelly..??... hummm. Don't know about that one.

Yeah for the fridge!!

Puna said...

haw haw...I'm hungry, I skipped breakfast this morning. Nice job with the refridgerator.

Renee said...

It will look beautiful when your done Becky.

What are grits. Are they a potato.

xoxo

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Becky,
I have never had grits. I'm a Calif. girl. Cream of Wheat and Oatmeal is the hot cereal I grew up with.
I enjoyed your post.
Take care and have a wonderful week.
hugs, Elizabeth

Parisbreakfasts said...

I have bever been able to eat grits :(
Maybe because I was force-fed cream of wheat as a kid..also hot white stuff, so I have an aversion.
Waffles? Yes! Bring em on!!

Parisbreakfasts said...

I watched it.
And now I know why I don't like white rice, white pasta, white bread, white foods, even cake!
Is cream of wheat like grits?
Early aversion training does not go away.
I do like marshmallows though...?

Parisbreakfasts said...

Rice pudding!
Forgetaboutit!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hey y'all. Renee, grits are a product of corn. (Or as Strom Thurmond said in the video, Cone.)
Carol, it's not really like cream of wheat. I've tried to think of a good comparison, but I've got nothing.

Gwen Buchanan said...

don't ya just love renovations!!

Anonymous said...

warm water + fabric softener in a spray bottle = wallpaper peeling fun! Spray thoroughly, wait patiently, peel joyously!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Anon,
I've not tried the fabric softener, just warm water. I'll give it a try-thanks!
I don't mind the process so much-I'd just wish I could snap my fingers and have it vanish.

Parisbreakfasts said...

why do I imagine it to be like eating GRIT?
Why else would they call it that if it is not gritty...