Wednesday, January 6, 2010

And They Call It Puppy (or Middle Aged Dog) Love


See the teeth marks on this tub of KFC?
I can't tell you how happy they make me. You see, we've been going through a kind of scary health crisis at our house, and the slightly mangled Kentucky Colonel gives me hope that we might be through the worst of it. For now, anyway.

Tanner the Slobber Dog came home from his Christmas vacation last week not quite himself. When Todd brought him home from Barkingham Palace and took off the leash, he sat down in the backyard and snacked on a blade of grass. What happened to the crazy ten laps he always takes, chasing an invisible chipmunk? What happened to sniffing our cement pig and giving its head a lick?

Maybe he was tired. Or depressed from leaving his girlfriend behind, the flirty Weimaraner who taught him to open the kennel cages, the Bonnie to his Clyde.
No, a few hours later, Tanner trembled any time he stood up. And he paid absolutely NO ATTENTION to the piece of sausage left within his reach on the kitchen counter. What was wrong with our baby? Todd and I took him to the emergency clinic and tried to pretend that we weren't terrified.

Yes, he's a dog, but he's part of our family! He's my constant companion, the only one who hops up and down when Todd comes home from work, and the hairy, slightly dopey brother to my kids. We're all completely in love with him, and at five years old, he's too young for this.

To make a long story short, it looks like our baby is starting to have some hip issues. The poor, 86 pound thing is used to sleeping on a people mattress, squeezed in between me and Todd on our queen sized bed. The kennel floors were hard on the guy.
I wonder what the vet will think the next time we drag a twin sized Tempurpedic through his doors!


So anyway, Tanner is doing better now. He still takes a doggie Advil at least once a day, but Sarah took him on his first walk yesterday and said he chased a squirrel or two. And barked at all the other dogs. And did other gross, embarrassing things that I won't mention.
And then there's the mangled KFC tub. It made me cheer, even while wrestling a chicken leg out of his mouth.
By the way, you ought to try KFC's grilled chicken. Tanner recommends it!
Have a great day, y'all!
Love, Becky

26 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Becky,

God Bless Tanner. I am so glad he is feeling better. It is difficult to see our furbabies age.

JW had a good birthday, I think.
He loved the post when I read it to him. I was laughing about him getting a bighead-hehe.

Big hugs,
Barb

Can you believe I am going to be a GM again? I am sooooo excited.

Attic Rat said...

So glad that Tanner the SD is feeling better! Maybe Tanner could have his very own Sleep Number bed. LOL

Have a super, fantabulous 2010!
Teresa

Tana said...

How did you take a picture of my dog? Mine is ten. He's sweet but constantly in trouble. ;)

jama said...

Yay for Tanner! Glad he's okay. Arf arf!!

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

Oh, poor baby! UK is going on 11 and I have been worried abhout him. But Tanner is too young. UK had a hard time getting back into the routine after 10 days at his palace. But as always, he was good as gold (they took turns walking him b/c everyone wanted to walk him!)

Nathan Bransford said...

Oh no! So glad he's okay. It's not easy being a canine superhero.

Anonymous said...

Whew! It's scary when a pet is off their feed, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Glad Tanner is feeling better, and hope the same goes for your kitchen!

Thanks for your lovely message about my book. :-)

lotusgirl said...

I hate he's got hip issues but am glad he's feeling better. Our collie has those too. The poor thing gimps around a few steps before she can get going. She takes herbal meds for them that help. Have you thought about trying some of those?

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Thanks, y'all for your good thoughts for Tanner.
Lois, I'd be completely open to trying those. (I remember how helpful the homeopathic stuff was in our French life.) I'll have to investigate that.

Anonymous said...

Ah!! Be OK, doggie!! I teared up at that one. I would do ANYTHING for my dog!! Thank goodness they could pinpoint it: he IS too young!

Paula Clare said...

Glad Tanner the slobber dog is okay...You know, you COULD give him YOUR bed and you and hubby dear sleep elsewhere?!?!

Dogs rate like family in my house too!

Parisbreakfasts said...

What a darling doggie!
I have a Temperapedic mattress he can rest on anytime.

lotusgirl said...

just ask your vet about the herbal remedies. I'd tell you what she's taking, but I want to switch her back to the ones she took before, and I can't think what the name of them is. I'm going to have to ask my vet. I'll try and remember to let you know when I find out. they really do help and there are no side effects--which is the nice part.

Cindy said...

Becky,
I'm so glad that he is ok. Its always scary when one of our furry family members does not feel well!

-c
yapping cat

May @ Anne and May said...

Bless his heart! I would probably take a bullet for my Chihuahua, who is 100% my baby until I have a real one.

I'm so glad he's feeling better! Poor, poor Slobber Dog.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Y'all are so sweet. Thank you!

Renee said...

Oh I hope he is on the upswing.

I hate when people act as if someone's pet isn't part of their family. Of course you would be worried sick.

Happy New Year darling.

Love Renee xoxo

puna said...

So glad the dog is feeling better! Kentucky Fried Chicken cheers me up too:)

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh, I'm so glad he's starting to feel better! Poor thing ... that must have been scary.

kj said...

I came here to tell you I loved your comment on renee's blog . My sentiments exactly...

and I read this post and I, who loves my stella in this way, smiled that I was visiting a good woman who loves her good dog.

:)
kj

Fete et Fleur said...

I'm glad to hear Tanner is doing better, but I'm wondering about the other disgusting things he did???

Hugs!
Nancy

CC said...

Awwwww. He is adorable. I just want to scratch behind his ears. Keep getting better Tanner!

Unknown said...

I am so glad Tanner is doing better....Big dogs seem to have such problems when they get a little older with their hips...
I noticed he has black spots on his tongue....that is really different! I hope Tanner is around for a very long time!

LW said...

Happy to hear that Tanner is feeling better.

Louise

Ronnie said...

I love Tanner's smile.
How about Glucosamine?