Thursday, July 17, 2008

Twisty Tongues and Tongue Twisters!

Today's Wonder of the World is...Twisty Tongues and Tongue Twisters!
Like this one!
Isn't she a cutie?

Flickr photo by villinikon
My kids think it's just hilarious that I can't roll my tongue. They like to watch me try just for entertainment.
That, and they like it when I do my goose imitation.
What can I say. I'm multi-talented.

Anyway, back to tongues and tongue twisters...
I started thinking about tongues yesterday when I explained to you why we have to do all our gardening on top of an old coffee table.
Remember?

It's because of that tongue!

Have you ever looked at your tongue. I mean really up close?

Sketch from Gray's Anatomy
Well, not that close. Those are your taste buds. Either that or freakish alien life forms.
I planned to share with you all the useless information about the tongue that I used to teach elementary school children in summer science camp. I thought I'd show you the map of the tongue, and how you taste sweet on the tip of your tongue, salty and sour on the sides, and bitter in the back. Then I did a google search and found out IT WAS ALL A LIE!

Modern science has proven it wrong! All those taste tests we did were for naught! Sorry, elementary kids, now probably balding adults, for warping you with faulty tongue knowledge! Apparently we have receptors for all those tastes all over our tongue.

Now I'm feeling guilty for spreading misinformation to the younger generation. I need something to cheer me up.
Hey! How about a cat tongue?

Flickr photo by peter hasselbom
No not that kind! Though it is pretty cute!


Flickr photo by beastandbean
No, not those either. Though I hardly ever turn cookies down.


This photo found HERE.
Yes! Langues de chat! Cat tongue candy! We used to get those after school in France!
(No cats were harmed in the making of this candy.)

And how about this cute thing? That'll make you smile.

Flickr photo by skoop102
A guinea pig tongue!

Are you feeling blue too?
Maybe you need to look at one of these.

Flickr photo by Goooflex
Wow! A blue tongued lizard!

And did you know hummingbirds have really long tongues?

Flickr photo by shesnuckinfuts
They do!

And of course we know all about dog tongues around here. But this one is extra curly.

Flickr photo by milkmaid1979

You know, when it comes to cuteness, you just can't beat a Panda sticking out his tongue at you.

Flickr photo by somsai

And how about this?

Flickr photo by Sporlink
Wait. That's no tongue! That's a strawberry in cream!

All this speaking in tongues is making me think of tongue twisters.
Like...
A certain young fellow named Beebee
Wished to marry a lady named Phoebe
"But," he said. "I must see
What the minister's fee be
Before Phoebe be Phoebe Beebee.

And of course there's the old standby:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
If a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could,
And chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would
If a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Hey, look who's listening in!

Flickr photo by eurorepusa
It's a woodchuck!
And he's chucking a carrot.
Watch out...If he chucks too much, he just might upchuck!

Take a gander (sorry...I'm still thinking goose) at this Youtube wonder. It's a bunch of students from all over the world saying tongue twisters in their native tongues. It's fun!


Have a Wonder-full Thursday, everybody!
Don't be tongue tied! Say hello! And share a tongue twister if you like!
Love, Becky

21 comments:

Julee Ann said...

I absolutely LOVE your blog. It's so different than the norm, and I mean that in a completely awesome way.
Maybe your next book should be titled:

My 365 Wonders Of The World!

I'd buy it.

Unknown said...

OH, so fun and cute. You're always good for a little chuckle. I love it. I had no idea that there were so many cat tongue themed sweets! LOL! I must go to France to get some. Ha ha!

Suzie said...

I always wanted to be able to roll my tongue I am so jealous

Rosemary said...

Funny Rebecca!!
I can't roll my tongue, but my husband can, and he can somehow tie a cherry stem into a knot. It's a weird talent.
Rosemary

Tara said...

Who knew tounges could be funny? And scarey the close up picture Yikes! Thanks for the chuckle.

Tara

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Julee Ann, you sure are a sweetie! Writing that would be fun!

Hey Tattingchic. Next time Todd goes to France I'll have to get him to load up on cat tongue candy. I'd love to share the wonder and it could make for a good give away prize.

I can't either Suzie! Instead, I focus on the things I can do. Like imitate a goose. And I read your blog, so I know you have many talents!

Rosemary, Todd can do that too! I have no idea how he does it.

Hey Tara. That kind of weird body info kind of freaks me out too. That, and microscopic photos of dust mites. I used to work in college taking care of an electron microscope. You should see the gross things that instrument shows you! For a while I became a little germ obsessed. Then I grew up and had children and got over it! Now I practically bathe in germs!
Not really. Well kind of.

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Well ,you made me laugh.Thank you.Love your blog. Marie Antionette

Kat said...

I have never seen so many tongues in one place. ;)

I love guinea pigs tongues. They are so precious? Have you ever gotten a lick from one? They are round and soft and so cute! Love them.

That blue lizard tongue is freaky!!

Sandra Evertson said...

What a great post! Who knew?!
Sandra Evertson

Susan Sandmore said...

Oh, dear--that blue lizard tongue bout done me in. The only thing that saved me was the panda.

Unknown said...

Oh, I am so there!!! On the candy cat tongue giveaway prize! Yes, I am so mature...candy! Woo hooooooo!!

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

You know, I remember that "map of the tongue." And I remember noticing, even back then in 3rd grade or whenever it was, that I didn't taste things in the same places that the "map" said. I guess I assumed the map was just for "most" people, that I was some genetic variant or something. I'm not surprised to find out it's baloney!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I never could do tongue twisters! I remember trying when I was a kid...just never worked for me. :) Blessings, marlene

Alexandra MacVean said...

Oh how cool! I loved your blog today. I have needed a smile with my recent health issues and you made me laugh/chuckle!

Thank you thank you! :)

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Marie Antoinette, it's so nice to meet you. I've never known anyone who kept peacocks before. My mom used to have peacock feathers in our den when I was growing up, and the first time I saw a real one I couldn't believe the wild noise they made. Anyway, welcome to the blog!

Hey Kathryn, no I've never been licked by a guinea pig. But my daughter fell in love with a guinea pig named Lollipop when she was four. All she could say was lollipop this or lollipop that. Luckily she got over that crush and is now well adjusted.

Thanks Sandra! And Hi Susan! That blue tongue is freaky. I should have followed up that picture of one of my kids with a blue tongue after eating an ice pop. Darn it. I always think of stuff too late.

Tattingchic, you're funny. I'm just as (im)mature as you. Today I passed the Krispy Kreme and did a little doughnut dance. And my kids weren't even with me!

Jenn! I'm so glad to reassure you that you aren't a genetic variant! See, I knew coming clean about my teaching misinformation might help someone!

Alex, I'm so happy I made you feel better! That makes my day!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Becky! Fun post!! Ok - here is my twister:

A big black bug, bit a big black bear and made the big black bear bleed blood....

Or something my brother used to always say,

I get me merds wixed and my twongue tisted and I can't streak spate. (I get my words mixed and my tongue twisted and I can speak staight)
Hugs,
Penny
p.s. Yes please! If you are ever coming to Hendersonville, let me know. We can meet for lunch or coffee!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Whew Penny. That's a tough one. And I love what your brother said!

Great! Now I have another reason to go to Hendersonville. I love that town!

Anonymous said...

I really like that lizard's cool blue tongue - how beautiful!
I roll my tongue, wiggle my ears independently, and also play the drums with my jaws/teeth - this is true! With rapid side-to-side and some up-and-down, almost some rotary motion I can play some really fast beat to any song requested. It's not loud though so my wife has to listen closely. I should record with a microphone sometime.
I hate the microscopic critters! Especially dust-mites that are everywhere - especially in public/work places where people use cloth covered chairs - the mites live in the cloth, stuffing, seams, etc. So if you have a choice always sit in a vinyl or leather seat that others have sit on - avoid the woven fabric chairs!
Ever seen the ugliest dog contest on TV? They have some dogs where it looks like their tongues have never been back in their mouths. Yuuukkk! They shouldn't treat their pets that way.
Two tongue twisters come to mind:
She sells sea shells by the seashore, (repeat)
and
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked, (repeat)
Have a great evening.
Randy

Life on the Edge said...

I enjoyed hearing the tongue twisters in different tongues! How fun!

Here is my favorite, and I can say it perfectly:

I slit a sheet, a sheet I slit, upon the slitted sheet I sit.

If you get it wrong, the results are understandably hilarious, but not for little ears.

Kady

CC said...

Seeing as I spend 60% of my work day staring at tongues and I dream about tongues at night, I find this post especially great! My husband and daughter can do the oddest things with their tongues ;)

The "She sells sea shells by the sea shore" has always been really hard for me! Also "toy boat toy boat toy boat"

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

i was about to leave a comment in your previous post and then i noticed the title of this post and had to let you know that i love tongues twisters too much, i am obssesive trying, lol, you may or not may know that English is my second language so when i was learning english, i found tongue twisters so much fun.
Love all the pictures here and your research is awesome.
You rock!
p.s. Thank you for your very positive thoughts for me! forever thankful!
Thank you very much!