Wednesday, July 23, 2008

St. Maurice-sur- Loire

Today's Wonder of the World is...St. Maurice-sur-Loire.

Flickr photo by JimCat
Did you remember to bring your popcorn?
Remember, we're on slide show mode, while I'm taking a little blogging break.
So here, my friends, is my birthday trip from 2002.
Todd asked me where I'd like to go for a day trip on my birthday. I knew right away!

I had read about St. Maurice-sur-Loire in my Michelin Green Guide. It's a tiny village near Roanne, about a two hour car trip from our house. It's known for the 13th century paintings in its Romanesque church. How about that! Just a run of the mill, tiny church in a little known village...with vibrant paintings from the 13th century!
I was happy to go.
Can you tell?

I love that picture. Don't we look content? Sarah is still shorter than me, and I don't have as many wrinkles as I do now.
Man is my hair short.
Anyway...back to the slide show.
Here's the town.


We're getting closer to the church!

What monkeys I have.

And here it is!

Flickr photo by JimCat
Click on the picture to get a good look. I didn't take this one. I was so struck by its beauty that I didn't think to back up and get a shot of the whole apse. Lucky my flickr friend did. It really is a Wonder of the World!

(And as usual in France, nothing is roped off, so we could get really up close and personal to the 13th century paintings!)

Here's a close up from the garden of Eden.


The Annunciation.


The Slaughter of the Innocents.


And the crucifixion.


Such a treasure.

Have a Wonder-full Wednesday, y'all!
Love, Becky

5 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Stunning! Since I don't think I'm ever going to get to go to France I'm visiting vicariously through you. :) Blessings, marlene

Rhondi said...

Hi Becky
Thanks for taking me along on the tour. And the music makes me feel like I am in France! You sure have travelled a lot. Lucky you.
Hugs, Rhondi

Rosemary said...

Wow Rebecca,
What a great birthday that must have been.
Beutiful place, and beautiful family.
How nice that you have been so many wonderful places.
Rosemary

Unknown said...

So amazingly lovely. What a breathtaking work of art. You're so fortunate to have had such amazing cultural experiences. Your children are fortunate, too, to have parents to take them around to these places. How fun.

CC said...

Wow! When I'm feeling really historic around here I can find artifacts from (gasp) 1850!