Friday, September 10, 2010

Thanks for the Blob, People!


Be in awe of the Blob.
I know I am.
I had heard of the wonders of the Blob from my older kids for years, but now that Todd brought back photographic evidence of its existence, I finally appreciate its amazing powers. Wanna see?

The Blob resides at Camp Rockmont, a non-denominational Christian camp for boys in the hills of Black Mountain, North Carolina. Every year, our church youth group spends Labor Day weekend there, and since Sam is now a middle schooler, he got to go this time. Todd went along to serve as a counselor and chaperone, and both came home gushing about the Blob.


There it is, that striped pillow floating in Lake Eden.
It looks a little scary in the chilly morning mist, but believe me, it's a teen's best friend. Or even a forty-something's.

Let me explain The Procedure to Successful Blobbing. I'll try not to be too technical.
Step one: Person A jumps off the board and onto the Blob, and then crawls to the other end, sits facing forward, and waits.
Step two: Person B now takes a jump onto the Blob.



BOING!


Person A goes flying!
Sometimes really high!

Some kids really were great at sending people into the sky.
Super Blobbers know the technique and have the physical heft and power to give just the right bounce.
Of course, if you want to go skyward, it's also partly up to you. You can't be clinging to the Blob, holding on to its Blobby safety. You have to get ready to fly.

Of course, being the over-analyzer/ corny person that I am, the metaphor in all of this is raising its hand and jumping up and down in its seat like Arnold Horshak.
I have to say that all this jumping and bouncing and sending kids flying makes me think about what friends do for each other. What you sweet people do for me.
I read your comments here, or I go visit you at your blog home, or I see you on facebook, talk to you via email or on the phone, and you hop off your board and bounce me in the sky.
Just by living your lives the way you do, by keeping on chugging, by being positive and funny, honest and sincere and faithful, you provide such a great example for me and everyone else. You bounce me and I keep chugging too.
Thanks for the Blob, people. I love you to pieces!

It also reminds me that we really don't have an idea of the power of our words. What our encouragement can do for each other. I'm so thankful for each of you.

Have a fabulous Friday!
I wish you much happy blobbing this weekend!
Love, Becky

PS. Before you scatter, enjoy my friend Bootie's bounce and flip.

15 comments:

steve said...

We love camp Rockmont! Here's an awesome video taken by someone when Luke and I were there with Y-guides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiytnM14CTI

Rebecca Ramsey said...

That's awesome!
Moose can really bring it!

Alise said...

"It also reminds me that we really don't have an idea of the power of our words."

How true! I know that I have a couple of texts on my phone from friends that I keep just to pick me up when I'm feeling cruddy. I'm sure they didn't think it was anything particularly special, but to me, those words really mean a lot.

Kindness is definitely the gift that keeps on giving!

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

That looks like so much fun!!! I want to go do that!

Sharon said...

I think they should have camp for (ahem) us older people that looks like this much fun! What a great thought to think that we are blobbing each other.

lotusgirl said...

That looks so fun! I'd probably break something, but my son would have a blast. That is totally teen heaven.

Daricia said...

i love the way you think (and write!) rebecca. we should all blob with our friends - i always did think mom camp every summer would be a good idea.

jama said...

Wow, I love Bootie's flip!

And who knew about Blobs? At first, I thought your title said, "Thanks for the Boob, People!" :)

I could, ahem, use one or two of those . . . thanks for blobbing me today!

Anonymous said...

OH, I hope I am a blob! And that looks like SUPER fun--if I showed my kids, they'd beg to try it.

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Becky, there's something similar at our Y camp, and the kids have had SO much fun out on it, in the lake. It's a little different than the Blob but similar enough that I can very easily imagine it. It's even the same color. Happy Blobbing back!

Jenny said...

Hey we are your blobby blog buddies. I would love to do the blob. I have "heard tell" about it before too. Becky you are are very welcome and thank you too for your encouraging visits to my infrequent and longwinded blog. I hope to hear better things about Ms. Minnie and will be praying for her heartbreaking situation. Glad things are moving in a better direction. Have a wonderful weekend.

Jojo said...

That is wonderful! I loved the YouTube clip!!!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

It's all about Blobby love, isn't it? HA I loved how you connected blog encouragement with the blob!

We have a blob at our camp in FL, too. I've heard great stories about it.

You blob me, too, Becky -- thanks!

Kat said...

I have always wanted to try one of those blob things. It looks like so much fun!

I love the spin you put on this post. You find the positive in everything. A true inspiration. :)

Ronnie said...

I love that hand waving metaphorical part of you.
Thanks for sharing the Blob FUN!