Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Call It Out! (And Get Ready to Drool!)


Hey y'all! Guess what we did Labor Day weekend!
We went to The Beacon and ate hamburgers as big as canteloupes, while making pig noises at each other. Well, actually, I could only manage to eat half of mine, and the pig noises were accidental--they just come out naturally at The Beacon. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Do you know about The Beacon? Maybe you saw it featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. It's in Spartanburg, South Carolina, about a half hour from our house, and it's sort of famous around these parts, by politicians (John, Fred, Mitt) and everyday folk alike. We went to Spartanburg on Saturday morning to watch this bald boy run a race...

And let me tell you, all that standing around and spectating made us hungry.
"Why starve" my man said, "when The Beacon is in town?"
I do love my man.

The Beacon isn't much to look at from the outside.

But on the inside? It's amazing. And a little overwhelming. Or should I say STARTLING!
You'd think so too, if you walked over to a mild mannered blind man taking orders and he started yelling at you.
See what I mean?


That loud talking sweetheart is JC Stroble, sort of the Guardian of The Beacon's Garden of Eating. He's been there for years, and is famous for yelling out at customers, "CALL IT OUT!" which means Hello, young lady. What would you like? If you don't know, he yells (nicely, but still it's a bit startling) to step aside and let the others go first.

As soon as you order, either he or one of these guys yells, "MOVE ON DOWN THE LINE!"

No problem! I'll do it!
Here's the rest of the line.

As soon as I moved eight feet to where that blue shirt guy is standing--I'm not kidding--my plate of Beacon Burger and fries was handed to me! Exactly as I asked for it!

Ooh boy. I didn't know it would be that big.
And look at the Sweet Tea!

Nice and dark. Strong, like I like it.
The Beacon is famous for their tea. Really famous. They make more sweet tea than any other restaurant in the USA. They even sell it at the Piggly Wiggly, Winn-Dixie, and the IGA. If you have a chance to try it, you'd better. It's amazing.
So are the fries.

That's my plate after I finished lunch (yes, I'd already eaten plenty of fries) and wrapped up the other half of my sandwich to take home.
Don't pat me on the back for showing restraint yet. I've got one more thing to show you...
Are you ready?
Get a napkin. This may make you drool!

That, my friends, is the best peach cobbler I've had in years. Oh my Lord, it was so, so good.
I must try to make some more like it this week, before all my fresh peaches are gone.

So that's The Beacon, my sort-of-local favorite Garden of Eating. Aren't local places wonder-full? What's your favorite local joint for a burger or taco or tofu wrap? I've got napkins handy, so tell me all about it!
Have a super Wednesday, y'all!
Love, Becky


13 comments:

Susan said...

The food looks yummy. The experience sounds a bit stressful for a newbie. I guess the regulars are used to it. One of my favorite "once in a while" treats is the fried banana cheesecake at the IHOP. Ummm, Ummmm, Ummmmmm.

Unknown said...

Although it's only 7 am here, I am drooling! That is the best looking burger and fries I've seen. Do they carry milkshakes as well?

I hope I can go there one day :-)

Anonymous said...

I simply MUST get my family in the Momvan and make a roadtrip south. Y'all have the BEST food. That burger looks soooooo yummy.

Kelly H-Y said...

Whoa ... that is huge!!! Sounds like a fun time!

Fete et Fleur said...

Iv'e never seen anything like it!! I predict there will be more 1/2 hour drives to The Beacon in your future.

Hugs!
Nancy

judy in ky said...

I love places like the Beacon... they have personality as well as good food.

lotusgirl said...

Looks yummy. My favorite as a kid was the Little Midget in Camden. They had the biggest hamburgers (about a 7 inch diameter) made with chili. The old way. and soft serve ice cream.

David Ebright said...

Come on! Tell the truth! We're your friends! You didn't really wrap 1/2 that burger up - didja.

I imagine the cardiologists in Spartanburg are very well-to-do.

Definitely drool-worthy but Miss Deb would shoot me.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Yes, Mr. Jaxpop-Smart-Aleck! I did indeed take the other half home! I've lost a few pounds in the last couple of weeks, and I refused to let a mere Beacon burger ruin it!
Although I did eat every bit of the peach cobbler. It's fruit, after all!

Lois, a place called Little Midget has got to have good food!

Unknown said...

Oh, I've eaten there several times. What an experience and what an institution in the Upstate!

jama said...

Love this feast of a post. The peach cobbler really has me drooling. :)

Barb said...

That's it- were moving. That is so much food but it all looks delicious.
Maybe i could pack on a little weight....

Tanner is a cutie. He is just doing his job and that is to keep you on your toes.

love ya,
Barb

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

My husband has been to the Beacon and remembers it well!! He has actually played three concerts out in the parking lot!