Monday, March 9, 2009

Asparagus

Today's Wonder of the World is...Asparagus!*

Flickr photo by Robertson the Bruce
I love this photo. It makes me feel like I'm an ant in a forest of asparagus.
Aren't the spears beautiful?

I had never eaten asparagus until I was a full grown adult.
If you've been eating it all your life, you may take it for granted. Not me. I find it amazing.

In France, white asparagus was very common. It's pretty too.

Flickr photo by marilyn819
Tender tips of asparagus sauteed in butter make me want to do ballet.
If I was brave I'd join these guys.

Flickr photo by Commonorgarden.

This just might embarrass my family.
Todd just walked in and looked over my shoulder. Now he's shaking his head and walking out of the room.
He thinks I've gone crazy.

To be honest, when he told me he wanted to spend his birthday money from my parents on asparagus plants for his garden, I thought he was the crazy one.

A week later a FedEx package arrived. I opened it up and thought some long-legged jungle spider was about to get me.

Flickr photo by The Kitchen Gardener
This is what farmers like Todd call asparagus crowns. They're what you plant in the ground to get asparagus spears. If you know all of this already, please forgive me. I'm just a city girl, remember? (By the way...that hairy arm? Not mine, just so you know.)

After we --I mean Todd--planted the crowns and waited a while, this is what we saw.
(Not this exactly--it's another public flickr photo. I couldn't get a good shot of our own.)

Flickr photo by digitalGecko
Cute little baby asparagus spears!
StinkNRose, the lady who sold Todd his crowns, (and yes, she goes by that name) said that we wouldn't have asparagus spears to eat until the third summer. They are too teensy to eat anyway. But they're fun to look at.
See how they've grown...





Right now they're just flowering. They have the prettiest tiny bell shaped flowers.


I hoped to be able to share my most favorite meal with you. It's shrimp with asparagus and pine nuts on penne pasta, and I always order it from Portofino's, a local Italian restaurant in Greenville, SC. If you're ever in the neighborhood, you must try it. (And call me! I'll come with you!) I thought I remembered them sharing their recipe with the public, but I couldn't find it online. But I did find one that sounds awfully close. Click HERE for the recipe. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Just thinking about asparagus makes me happy. Maybe I'll do a little dance.

Flickr photo by Commonorgarden
I'll try to look happier than these guys.
Maybe its the tights.
Have a wonder-full Monday!
And enjoy these musical veggies. The asparagus recorders show up around 2:00!

Love, Becky

*Becky is off at the beach at the moment, writing furiously or maybe just staring into the sun, frying what's left of her brain. This is a recycled wonder from Spring of 2008, but it's still fresh...sort of. And look what it does for the environment!
Please do leave a comment. Becky will be checking in from the nearest internet coffee shop and you'd absolutely make her day!

19 comments:

Kat said...

That top picture is gorgeous! The colors are so pretty. Who knew asparagus could be so beautiful?

Suzie said...

I love asparagus but they do make ones pee smell a little funny

Jessica said...

I've been lurking for awhile and love what you're doing. I thought that it was time to emerge from the shadows, especially when I have an award to pass on.

Everything you post is so upbeat. That's something we all need in our lives.

Please stop by my site to claim your Wonderful Blog Award!

Anonymous said...

Awesome--and I am in search of some asparagus to start growing here--you have yours in a planter, huh? Hmmmm...

Sara Cox Landolt said...

I bought asparagus this morning, how fun to read about it now.

Unknown said...

Have fun at the beach.

I have to admit that I have never viewed asparagus as a wonder of the world.

Unknown said...

What a great post! I LOVE asparagus. It is one of my favorite vegetables. In fact, I miss it. I haven't had any in so long. I even have an asparagus steamer! :)

Susan said...

I seem to remember going along the railroad tracks and looking for wild asparagus when I was a child. Wonder if folks still do that in rural areas? Mmmm, doesn't that sun feel good? Have a good one, Susan

ToddR said...

Hey y'all!
Jessica, it's great to meet you! And aren't you sweet! I'll stop right by!

Susan, my dad told me that they used to call it sparse grass in Kentucky? I'm not sure about that...I'll have to ask him.

Y'all are awesome.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Oops! Sorry. I'm signed in under my hubby's name. Let's try this again!
Becky

May Vanderbilt said...

"Then such a sound is heard! It is an owl."

The captions on that video are the best.

Have fun on your vacation!

lotusgirl said...

I used to hate asparagus! All I had ever had growing up was canned.

Then I had it fresh. Hey. I like asparagus. Wow! What a difference a can makes.

Anonymous said...

I love the first photo and agree, it looks like an amazing forest of my beloved veg!

Cindy said...

What? No mention of how it makes your wee smell funny? LOL Sorry, had to say it. And I think it only a certain percentage of the population that it effects in that way...guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Sorry. TMI. :D

c

Kelly H-Y said...

You'd think an asparagus-loving mother + an asparagus-craving father would equal an asparagus-crazy child ... but not in this case! :-) Loved the post, but still don't like to eat asparagus! :-)

Jojo said...

Next, can we have artichokes? I love them too!

Ronnie said...

You luuuucky Duck! The weather couldn't be better for your beach trip. Must be living right!
Have big fun.

Gwen Buchanan said...

oh an asparagus post... wonderful.. I can't wait for this year is my third year... and I have been waiting impatiently!!!

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Love the stuff!

And, p.s. the verification letters I have to type, and I promise I'm not making this up, is
"sobersup".