Monday, November 30, 2009

You Sit on a Throne of Lies


Do you share my affinity for Elf culture?

Maybe a little explanation is in order.
We had a remarkably peaceful Thanksgiving holiday thanks to our pesky winter companion Strep Throat. It attacked Sammy's tonsils on Turkey-Day Eve, stomping all over our travel plans to climb both sides of our family tree. What could we do? We stayed home.

We missed seeing our family, but it wasn't all bad. We found a turkey last minute and spent the break eating until we were sleepy and sleeping until we were hungry, all from the comfort of our warm little nest. And we watched movies. Can you guess which movie I fell in love with all over again?

If you need a good dose of innocence and Christmas cheer, allow me to prescribe a trip through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and out the Lincoln Tunnel. It's perfect Christmas fun.

You get to see old friends...

And meet new ones.

Not to mention make snow angels, ice skate, eat plenty of snacks from the four basic groups (candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup,) and chug it all down it with a big mug of the World's Best Coffee. And then snuggle.

You might even see You Know Who!

Just be sure he's the real deal. (Hint: Impostors smell like beef and cheese.)

So, are you as Elf crazy as I am? Don't be a cotton-headed ninny-muggins. Tell me your favorite part. And don't forget, the best way to spread Christmas Cheer is singing loud for all to hear!

Have a wonder-full Monday.
Love, Becky
PS. You have such a pretty face. You should be on a Christmas card!

13 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Easily the most quotable movie of all time and it never fails makes to make our list of favorites.
A favorite part? One? How about the part between the retro animated introduction and the closing credits... great casting, superb writing, masterful costumes, sets and design, and cheers to Jon Favreau for directing a sincerely heartfelt fantasy.
"I'm in love, I'm in love, and I don't care who knows it!"

Anonymous said...

We ADORE this movie. It is so funny--we can watch it over and over and over again and still laugh and get teary at the end when they all sing.

Adrienne said...

We watched this movie right after we were done eating turkey! It's my favorite way to kick off the season. I love it all. The dance in the mailroom is one of my favorite scenes.

Hope you send that nasty Strep packing...

Unknown said...

Love the four basic groups of snacks! Sounds yummy!

Hope all in your household are well now.

lotusgirl said...

I can't believe I still haven't seen this one. I guess I'm going to have to order it and give it a chance.

Jenny said...

So funny, we just watched Elf last night and last year I wrote a small ode to my love for Elf: http://jenneu.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html How I have loved Elf from the first time I sawr it! oh,my. and you quoted my mostest favoritest part of it. "you sit on a throne of lies" and "your not Santa, you smell like beef and cheese." I can't help laughing just typing those words. But obviously Jon Favreau delighted in the Christmas spirit of his youth (and mine) and wrapped it in a loving nostalgia that will cause it to rival A Christmas Story in its retelling.

Susan said...

Actually, I've only seen it once. I need to remedy that. Hope Sammy feels better soon. Sometimes the best family fun comes from unforeseen events like this. Take care.

May Vanderbilt said...

Last year, this became a part of our holiday traditions. I had never seen it before! Instant classic!

My favorite part has to be when Papa Elf is explaining how "down south" they don't believe in Santa anymore.

I love it when Buddy says, "That's shocking!"

Paula Clare said...

You've quoted my fave quote from Elf! I just entitled MY blog post, "Smiling's my favorite..." With the same clip! Great minds, and all that!

We have declared Elf one in our ever growing list of must see Christmas films each year. It's a Wonderful Life tops my personal list, but then we watch Muppet Christmas, Jingle All the Way, White Christmas, A Christmas Story, and Elf. How I love the innocence of the movie...easily one of Will Ferrell's best!

Felicity said...

We share Buddy's affinity for syrup!

Fete et Fleur said...

This is absolutely my very favorite Christmas movie!! He just cracks me up. Our family has running jokes all year long with some of the lines from this movie.

I wanted to let you know that I received your comment on my last post, but blogger has gone haywire and won't publish all of my of comments. Thanks for stopping by.

Hugs!
Nancy

Rosemary said...

Love that movie Rebecca.
Sorry you missed Thanksgiving, but it sounds like it was nice anyway.
Thanks for your sweet comment.
Have a wonderful week,
Rosemary

Kelly H-Y said...

I LOVE this movie!! Thanks for the reminder to pull it out of the cupboard!!!