Monday, July 20, 2009

The Joy of Unplugging

Today's Wonder of the World is...Stepping Away from the Computer! (For just a little while.)

Hey friends! How I've missed you!
Two weeks ago I decided to take a little blogging break. Nothing drastic, just one week to rest my fingers from the tappity tap and rejuvenate my spirit.
I imagined I might do lots of this.

It didn't quite work out that way, but it felt really GOOD!
So I gave myself a second week off. I had gotten to a good stopping place in my writing work, so why not?
Now I'm relaxed and ready to scoot all over the internet and see what you've been up to.
Before I do, I thought I'd share a few vacation pics.

Hey Dad and my sweet niece Susie!
We all met at Sunset Beach for the 4th of July weekend and had a blast.
Ah summer. The salty ocean water.
The tomatoes!

Want some? I'm happy to share!

After my first week of vacation was over, something magical happened.
My family started leaving me.
I suppose this won't win me a Mother of the Year award, but I have to admit that I enjoyed the semi-solitude. First Todd and Sarah went on a mission trip to Virginia, then Ben left for running camp and Sam left for church camp in the mountains. With all the coming and going I think I had maybe 9 hours of being completely alone, but still, the quiet was DELICIOUS!

I'm sure I sound certifiably insane, but as I dropped my boys off for camp I could hardly wait to get back home to my paint brushes and spackling paste! Who needs a South Seas cruise or a weekend at the spa? I'm been dying to paint that bathroom for two years now! Give me eight hours to work without children interrupting!
I drank lots of coffee and lengthened my To Do list. Remember my half red couch? I could finally finish the slipcover! I could paint baseboards and move the furniture around, and no one would complain!

I became a tornado of busyness.
I painted my bathroom, and then I did the BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE IN MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE!
See.

TA DA!
Okay, maybe replacing my towel bar isn't the best thing I've done in my entire life. But you have no idea how often that thing falls off the wall onto my feet. My toes have grown afraid of it and force me into the shower before I'm completely undressed, so I had to do something. After I fixed it, I danced around for five minutes, celebrating my awesome powers of handiness.

Then I saw this.

Tanner! Naughty dog!
In case you don't know what he's wearing, allow me to explain. That floral fabric is the slipcover of my other couch, the one I had taken off to mend. Tanner had worn holes in it from wallowing around on the pillows. Remember?

Now that one of the holes had become a neckline for Tanner, it was even bigger than before. No more procrastinating. The cushion slipcovers had to be replaced.


Voilà!

What's that?
It's my poor half red couch, sobbing in my bedroom.

Sorry, couch. I promise I'll get to you another day/summer!

So what is on your To Do list for the summer? Does crossing things off your list give you a similar shot of adrenaline, or is my life just a little bit sad?

Have a wonderful Monday, y'all!
Love, Becky
PS Before you go, I must confess. I didn't spend the entire two weeks unplugged. I just couldn't stop watching this little guy on youtube. I want to hire him to talk to me as I work. I bet I could repaint the whole house!


21 comments:

LW said...

Welcome back Becky…
Your were missed…

I am happy to say that
I have crossed a lot off my to do list this summer.
However, the list is still long.

Love the video that was two funny…

Louise

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

Welcome back, I missed your daily reads! You always give me an outlet to something new!

I can just picture you now dancing in the bathroom in circles, ha ha ha, too cute!

I LOVE the picture of grandaddy yes and Susie! What a great picture!

Glad you're back!

So, what am I doing this summer....learning to sew!

Adrienne said...

Ooh you are talented! Slipcovers make me crazy.

I have paint purchased and one room all torn apart and prepped. That's as far as I've gotten, but I'm going to get those bedrooms painted...

Felicity said...

Two closets down and two to go at our house! Oh, and the sunflower fort is just past my waist! Hurray for summer!

Unplugging breaks are wonderful. I took one not long ago and remembered how much I DO love blogging - I was just tired!

Kat said...

Welcome back! Glad you had some time to yourself to relax. Sounds lovely!

And thanks for that video. I had never seen it before and I just watched it three times. hehehe What a cutie. Thanks for the laugh!

David Ebright said...

Welcome back - Was thinkin' of you while watchin' Andy & Barney on the tube the other day (the episode with the exploding goat - a classic.), wonderin' if you finally ran outta wonders. Hope you put a level on that towel bar.

Unknown said...

You were certainly missed!!! And what a talented and creative lady you are! You constantly amaze me.

Linda Summerfield said...

I can't comprehend how a towel bar actually connects to the wall, so I am very impressed with your accomplishment!
I want to see the movie with the penith kicking.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hi Louise, I've still got plenty left on my list too. I keep telling myself that summer isn't over yet!

Hey Jennifer, you're learning to sew! That's great. I can't wait to see what you create! Will you be in Kentucky in August?

Hi Adrienne, you've done the hard part--the prep and the shopping for supplies. I love the before/after effect. It's so rewarding.

Closets! Felicity, that's another project on my list. Mainly the one in our bedroom. It's so tiny. I really need to empty it out completely and redo the whole thing.

Hey Kat, I hope you're hanging in there til Baby Day!

Jaxpop, the exploding goat is one of my favorite episodes! You better believe I used a level. After five years I had to get it right!

Sherry, you're a sweetheart. Hugs to you.

Linda, thanks. I'll go with you to that movie--especially if we can have that little guy narrate for us!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Welcome back! Love the video! Adorable.
And of course, I love Tanner stories!

Kelly H-Y said...

I love it ... 'tornado of busyness!!' Wow, did you ever accomplish a lot ... despite Tanner the Slobber Dog's help! :-) Welcome back ... I've missed your blog updates ... they always bring a smile and laughter to my day!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice break. I think your new bathroom looks FABULOUS (am a FAN of that shade of blue) and anxious now to eat tomatoes up in my neck of the woods!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Thanks Pamela. Tanner sends Edward his love.

Kelly, yep, I crossed lots of my list and yet there's much more to do! Isn't that the way it always is?

Hey GG, you like that blue? I'm so glad! I LOVE it! When my daughter got home and I showed it off to her, she pointed out that I matched the room. I love that blue so much that I wear it most of the time!

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

Hi Becky, no we won't be there in August, we're waiting until tobacco festival first part of sept. My parents are scheduled to be here first part of August with us. Janet has been here with us for two weeks though, we hate to see her go on Thurs. Smooches to all!

Susan Sandmore said...

Missed you! Glad the vacation was fun, though!

Susan said...

Welcome back. What dance did you do? I always "cabbage patch" when I'm congratulating myself. Those videos are really funny. Thanks for the link. Slip covers make me crazy. They used to be constantly coming off the davenport. I guess they are better these days, huh? Anyway, glad you're back! Susan

Rosemary said...

Hi Becky,
I missed you. Glad you are back!!
Love all of your projects!!!
Great for you!!
Glad you had a nice vacation!!
Chat soon,
Rosemary

Martha said...

Becky, did your guy go to running camp at Furman? If so, thats where I work and we could have met in real life. I work with the directors of the running camp at FU.

Unknown said...

Hi Becky! It looks like you had a lot of fun and got a lot done! :)

Unknown said...

I don't blame you Becky. I've been staying away from the computer also. Especially with all this gorgeous weather.

Your vacation sure looks like a lot of fun. Congrats on finishing painting the bathroom. I love that color blue.

Tanner, he is so cute! Oh no on the couch though. What beautiful slipscovers. You are so talented. Such a pretty pattern too.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Martha! You work at Furman? I'm there all the time! And you won't believe this but I remember you. I was one of the slackers who waited until the last moment to turn in my check for Ben's running camp, so I came to your office and you pointed me in the direction of the camp director. What a small world!
Next time I'm out there, I'll have to swing by and say hello!