Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Good Scare!

Today's Wonder of the World is...A Good Scare!

I've always been amazed that some people LOVE a good scare.
What about you? Do you enjoy being frightened out of your wits?

Me? I like my wits. I want to hold tight to them. I want to super glue them to my body, and then add duct tape, just in case.

For example, I would never ever pay good money to inch one little toe inside this house.

Flickr photo by esywlkr
I wouldn't step in for free! Or even if someone tried to bribe me with creme brulee!
In fact, I'd even drive an extra mile just to avoid looking at that bloody writing! And those bloody red windows and the scary bushes and the menacing white brick thingies and those frightful weeds!

Perhaps I should seek therapy.
Or maybe I'll just blame it on my brother Steve. That's cheaper.
Steve, you see, was a pesky little brother, and especially pesky once he discovered how much fun it was to hide behind the shower curtain and jump out at me when I was staring at myself in the mirror.
I still check behind shower curtains, and he's a four hour car drive away!

But Steve never made me sit in a tank full of cockroaches or swallow a live fish, so why can't I stomach the thought of this?

Flickr photo by paperlizard
BECAUSE IT'S DISGUSTING, THAT'S WHY!
Please, people, if you're a fan of this sort of thing, explain it to me!

I would also never do this.

Flickr photo by Jari Kaariainen
I mean, why?
I suppose it's a question of degree.
I did go flying in college with my future husband the day after his pilot's license came in the mail. The plane was tiny and looked as if he might have built it himself. But we were in the fog of new love and infatuation back then, and he probably didn't even watch where he was going.
(Sarah, my sweet college student daughter, if you're reading this, know that if you ever do such a stupid thing, I will track you down and throttle you, my dear. Love, Mom)

I do like a good roller coaster

Flickr photo by aqu ari um
As long as it's not at the fair, where they put them up and take them down blindfolded in the dark. After their third nightcap.
Or maybe that's my inner scaredy cat talking.
Speaking of my inner scaredy cat...

Flickr photo by GTM (M. Alreshaid.)
YIKES!
RUN! RUN AWAY!

Sorry.
By now you can probably guess that I'm not a fan of slasher movies either.
In fact, I'm still a little traumatized over Terri Johnson's sleepover in third grade, when she made me stay up and watch Green Slime.

But don't think I'm a complete coward.
I do enjoy suspense. That's why I love this woman.

Flickr photo by booboogbs
Just look at those Bette Davis eyes.
No wonder! It's Bette Davis!

Have you ever watched her movies? YOU MUST!
All About Eve, Mr. Skeffington, Now, Voyager, Dark Victory, The Great Lie...and plenty more! Bette Davis really is a Wonder of the World.

But what...you only have two minutes? And you're one of those nuts who likes a good fright?
Okay. You think you're so cool. Don't say I didn't warn you.
You asked for it...
GREEN SLIME!

Have a wonder-full Thursday. I'll see you tomorrow--that is, if you aren't trembling under your bed, crying for your mommy!
Love, Becky

14 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Rebecca, you crack me up. I am terrified of being... umm... terrified. I am a big wimp. Come join me as we hide under the covers together.

steve said...

Ah, the old shower curtain caper! A classic!

I think I only did that once or twice, but apparently, it was enough to traumatize you for life. My work here is done.

Don't worry, though, I'm getting payback by having to referee my own children as the two younger children gang up on the oldest.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hi Tonggu momma, yey for solidarity of the wimps! Woo hoo!

Steve, you pesky thing you!
Ha ha. I laugh in your suffering.
Love you!

EllenP said...

Wow - that Green Slime thing is the most insane thing I have ever seen. Still, I am kind of scared by it. I'm with you - I hate being scared. I am easily startled too. Someone walking into the room unexpectedly makes me jump. I hate that too. Maybe I am too high strung. I've got to relax. Well, have a good day.

Susan said...

I don't like being scared. The only way I was able to finally deal with horror movies was to concentrate on the special effects and wonder how they achieved certain things. After learning to do that I can deal with most of them. I watch all the zombie movies, because I know that can't happen, but kidnapping and bad guys getting you, those are too much for me. Loved the Green Slime trailer. My kind of movie.

Unknown said...

I'm with tonggu momma, I'm terrified of being terrified! LOL! I had nightmares after writing for the blogapalooza!
That said I watched the remake of Psycho yesterday on TV before going to work. I found a way to prevent nightmares after watching scary movies! Just watch them in the MORNING and then go to work and you'll have forgotten all about it by the time you get to bed! LOL!

David Ebright said...

Geez... Scary stuff is the best. We live in a haunted city - I write about spooky stuff & tortured my kids with ghost tales & heart-stopping pranks...Like the time when they were little & I let them watch the cut version of Halloween. Shortly after tucking them into bed - I crept back upstairs wearing a hockey mask. I think Deb had to change their sheets after that one.

Anonymous said...

Too funny and scary.
I'm a real wimp when it comes to slasher movies, so I don't even LOOK at Michael.

Rosemary said...

Hi Rebecca,
I hate those scary Haunted Houses.
Love scary movies though.
My brother did the same thing to me.
Little brothers are the same everywhere.
Thanks for the fun post today!
Rosemary

Adrienne said...

Old horror movies are too funny! I'd like to watch The Blob again.

David Ebright said...

The original movie 'The Blob' with Steve McQueen was filmed in my former hometown of Downingtown Pa. The diner - where the menace is finally confronted is still there & advertises itself as "Home of The Blob" - The acting was terrible so I guess that's why it was so scary. (Even McQueen was lousy - I think it was his debut.)

lotusgirl said...

I hate really scary movies too! Luckily my husband doesn't like them either. Most of the old scary movies strike me as funny because the special effects are so dated.

There are some TV shows that I can't watch too, even their commercials gross me out.

I love Bette Davis too. I became a huge fan, when I was a teenager. She was amazing on screen.

Angela K. Nickerson said...

I am with you, Sister! I hate being scared. In fact, it is part of our marriage contract: my husband can not scare me (or tickle my feet). I'm pretty sure violation of either clause entitles me to diamonds or something...

Cindy said...

LOL! Yeah, I like a little spooky, spooky (make sure you have the depends on) but bungee jumping...no. Heights are a whole different thing. : D

c