Monday, August 4, 2008

What a Mask-arade! Or Mask Parade!

Today's Wonder of the World is...the Mask!

Who is that Masked Man?
I believe it's Zorro! Carrying a bag of Halloween candy!
Ben discovered Zorro in France. Don't you love the mustache? I had to buy a new bottle of mascara after that, but it was worth it!

We love masks around our house.
Here's a few on a wall beside Sam's room. Ben made the bottom one in Art a couple years ago. Sarah made the middle one when she was in first grade. (Love the pipe cleaner earrings!) And the top one I bought because I go ape over smiling cats with people teeth.

I take them down from the wall sometimes when Sam has friends for a sleepover. Sam hardly notices them anymore, but some kids find them spooky-ooky, as my nephew Luke would say.

Back in our French life, Ben wore a mask on Wednesday afternoons at his fencing class.

Usually he wore the whole suit, but this was just a Skewer Your Family at Fencing day.
He's about to turn his sister into a kabob.
Not really.

Ben also liked collecting gas masks at the flea market.
It was the only way I could trick him into going with me.


I have an amazing friend Doug Berky who makes unbelievable masks, and tells stories with them.
Find out more about him HERE.


When he puts them on, Doug becomes the mask.

I probably should try to say something profound about how many times we wear masks in life and take them off when we feel safe.
But I don't feel very profound right now. (I just spent a few hours fussing at my sewing machine because that thing is out to get me. Or at least to make me crazy.) So let's not be profound, okey doke? Let's just look at creatures with masks permanently attached.

You won't believe this one!

Flickr photo by donariel.
A spider, with a smiling sun on his back!

And how about this beetle? He looks like he's wearing an African mask.

Flickr photo by gripspix
I think he's beautiful. As long as he's not crawling on me!

Sometimes flowers have mask faces.

Flickr photo by thiagoleon.

And owls.

Flickr photo by ianmichaelthomas

And birds!

Flickr photo by wine buff

And Lucha Libre wrestlers!

Flickr photo by DrKangeltex.
Don't you love those guys?
I wonder if those masks are comfortable? Maybe it feels like wearing pantyhose over your face. Not that I would know how that feels like.
But Nicholas Cage would. Remember that scene from Raising Arizona? If you've never seen it, you should rent that movie. But only if you're in a mood for weirdness!

And while you're at it, watch a little of Zorro, en français!



And tell me, do you like masks, or do they creep you out?
Do you have a favorite mask from childhood?
My favorite mask is an old yellow Power Ranger one that Ben picked out after doing #2 in the potty for the first time.
Sorry if this is too much information for you, people. And sorry, Ben, if you're reading this, which you never do. I don't usually post potty training stories about you. I only write about what a beast you are! (Beast is a compliment in Ben language.)

I love that mask because it reminds me of little Ben and how he'd wear it while striking his Power Ranger poses, not realizing or caring until four years later that he was wearing the girl Power Ranger costume. Somehow he didn't notice the pink lipstick.

Have a Wonder-Full Monday, everyone!
Love, Becky

20 comments:

Unknown said...

There are days I would like to have a mask to wear - sometimes to cover up the face without using make-up and sometimes to hide my identity and be like the proverbial "fly on the wall."

StitchinByTheLake said...

Hi Becky, I enjoyed the masks. I don't remember ever wearing a mask - at Halloween we never had a "bought" costume but instead dressed like hobos or farmers or cowboys with stuff we already had. Blessings, marlene
P.S. sorry about your sewing machine - that's always so frustrating!

Barb said...

Hi Becky,

Sometimes I'd love a mask, actually a big ole bag to put over the head-hehe.

Your friend has unbelievable masks. What a story and talent!

I always love the pictures you share.
A lot of fun.

Headed out to a long day. You have a good one my friend.

hugs,
Barb

Anonymous said...

We love our masks here--but we're big fans of superheroes!

Suzie said...

I love those bug pictures. I had to refoucous to see the masks but they were there. How cool

Rosemary said...

Great masks Becky!!
You know how much I love Halloween, so I did enjoy your post today!!
Have a great Monday!
Rosemary

Kristin said...

I like some mask..I live in new orleans so Im used to seeing mask EVERYWHERE..but the ones that still creep me out are the african mask..they just never look happy..haha

Cindy said...

I like your Kitty with smiling teeth mask. Looks funny. And as a kid, we did the "costume" thing and I always did enjoy being someone else for a night. And that's the same as a mask, right? LOL. Great post as always!

c

Susan said...

I love masks also. I just wanted to let you know how much I love, love, love your blog. Your pictures are always great and you have such a way with words. Thanks.

Jojo said...

Masks just creep me out but I did enjoy seeing and thinking about the many masks of nature.

Connie said...

Soooo sweet of you to visit me, my little carolina chick!! My goodness, an honest-to-gosh writer! I'm certainly impressed with anyone who can sit still long enough to write a book, sweetpea. France, huh?? Well, that must have been some experience for you and the family. Come on back over and see the silly life I lead - most times, anyway........ Hah
Smoochies,
Connie

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Wow...a mask collector, huh? Love that you used the kids' artwork to decorate!

May Vanderbilt said...

My whole life I've wanted just one thing: to be invited to a real masquerade ball.

But it seems they've fallen out of fashion...or I have. (ha!)

Love masks!

Also fencing is just so debonair.

Attic Clutter said...

Becky Hello (:) Love little Ben in his Halloween costume too cute..
A Great MASK post .. you are so good..
... glad you came over and I caught the scallopy-peachey hug
..thanks~~(:) Patty

Alexandra MacVean said...

The owl is beautiful! wow! :)

Naturegirl said...

Becky how cool is this..you wrote a book about your family adventures in France and I'm about to set off on my own adventures in France...yes in two weeks..soon I'll post about that!!
So many unique masks..I personally love all of Mother Natures masks!
I thank you for your sweet comment on my latest post! hugs NG

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Hey there. My son has always loved wearing masks, and can make them out of anything. Yes, he is the undie on the head boy I show on my blog from time to time.

Such beautiful photos, I enjoyed the post!

Melissa

Unknown said...

ROFLOL!!! Oh, you kill me! "I bought the one on top because I go ape over smiling cats with people teeth!" Love it.

Susan Sandmore said...

I'm on the "creep me" side. Masks remind me of sweaty Halloweens (I guess that's what we get for living down here) and how the mask always got too hot and uncomfortable. After a few years, I started inventing costumes that didn't need a mask.

Rhondi said...

Becky, Your photos are just wonderful. I always enjoy stopping by to see what creative thing you've thought of to show us pictures of this time!
Hugs, Rhondi