Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Wind in the Willows and Everywhere Else

Today's Wonder of the World is...Wind. And the ways we enjoy it!
Ah wind. I like it the natural way

Hi my good buddy Lisa! And dear Michael and their beautiful yet windswept Meredith!
I LOVE this picture of you on the windiest spot of Hawaii! It's the best vacation photo I've ever seen!

I also love wind the artificial way!

Do you remember the first time you talked into a fan and heard how funny your voice sounded?

Feeling the wind on my face makes me feel like I'm flying, just like this little one!


Or like this bigger one.

I love her.

Most of the time wind is fun.
But sometimes it's scary. I remember in fourth grade waiting out a tornado under my desk at school.
I also remember a tornado a few years ago wiping Todd's grandpa's old gas station/garage right off the map.
But let's not think of that right now. Let's keep it light.
Here. This will help.


One of the windiest places I've ever been was Wichita Falls, Texas. Todd was based there right before we got married. I went to visit him and was windblown the entire time. At least I think it was the wind that mussed up my hair.

I wonder if they use windmills there?


I love things that celebrate the wind.
Like this.


Or this.

Don't they look like this flower?


I also like whirligigs, though I don't own any.

I should do something about that.

It used to be that when I was in a whirligig mood, I could head towards downtown and see a whole yard full of amazing ones, all crafted by Mr. Herron Briggs , a local folk artist. He died a few years ago, and most of his whirligigs are gone now. But here's one. Click on his name above for his story. He was quite a wonder himself.

Those are so fun!
How many whirligigs are enough?
Maybe the answer is blowing in the wind.

Have a Wonder-full Wednesday y'all!
(And thank you flickr, for all the public photos.)

21 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

I stumbled onto your blog this morning, interesting post! I think the windiest place I've ever been was on top of the Empire State Building in March... my hair has never been the same!

Kat said...

You took my breath away! ;)

Unknown said...

I've been to that very spot in Hawaii...it's in Oahu, isn't it? I will never forget trying to stand straight up! It was a challenge! I was there with my (ex)- boyfriend and his family. Oh, the memories! It was fun.

steve said...

Looking at the children putting their faces close to the fan brought back a few memories as well as the realization that my kids haven't really experienced it.

We are spoiled with our AC, I guess. I don't lament being more comfortable, but there's something special about feeling the breeze from a big old box fan as you try to go to sleep on a warm summer night. I guess it's my choice to use more kWh's running the AC instead of letting my children experience the green(er) joys of the box fan. But when it's still 90 degrees at bedtime with a dewpoint in the 70's, I prefer comfortable to sentimental(or some might argue responsible).

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hi liz, I've always wanted to see the Empire State Building--that and the statue of Liberty. I'd want to see them, but I'm not sure I'd want to go up to the top. Heights are not my favorite. I bet it is windy up there.

Hey kathryn and tattingchic! Tattingchic, that's funny. Ex-boyfriend memories are always interesting.

Steve, interesting comment. I guess my kids might never have experienced it either if we hadn't lived in un-air conditioned France. It was hard to get used to the air conditioning after we moved back to the USA. I think we walked around Mom's house in blankets for the whole first week. If it's not blazing hot I'll still turn it off and open all the windows. But when it gets past 85, I turn it right back on again. I've become a wimp I guess. Hey, don't I remember y'all visiting us in France during a heat wave?

~Swankymama said...

I live in Texas, so tornadoes are a very real possibility. :o)

steve said...

mais oui! It was quite warm, but I was so distracted by the beauty around us that I didn't care so much. I wish we could have visited more. I will remember and cherish that trip for the rest of my life.

Attic Clutter said...

Hi Becky Oh you always do up such fun posts(:) WIND yet ..hehe Love it..oh I am glad you adopted some sisters(:) that is a great way to do it.. Ya me no brother hummm.. one real sis (:) and lots of adopted like you....hugs Patty

Rosemary said...

Hi Rebecca,
Happy Wed!!
Thanks for the nice comments!!
Here in Southern California, we get those Santa Ana winds that cause the brushfires. BAD!!!
Love the photos!!
I used to watch the flying nun, how funny!!
Have a great day!!
Rosemary

mah-meeee said...

love all your pictures!

esp the first one with the hair and the one with the baby in front of the fan...too cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,
Here Here to wind!
Makes me happy.
Love the memory of the flying nun. ;-) Yesterday at a restaurant my husb and I saw four woman that to me looked like nuns (not in habits). It was just a funny thought.
Meredith is a beautiful looking windswept girl!
xo
Constance

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Hey Denise, with all the crazy weather lately I'll cross my fingers for a tornado free summer in Texas!

Steve, I loved that visit too. Remember the bread truck we rented? And my little car? I felt bad about sticking Leah in the backseat behind the two baby seats! And I'm glad your luggage finally came, just in time to go home again!

Hi Patty and Rosemary. Rosemary, I'll pray for calm winds for you!

Mah-meee, I thank Lisa and flickr for the pictures!

Rochambeau, I loved the Flying Nun. I should see if I can find it on Netflix!

Kim said...

Totally love the first photo in this story! Pretty wild!!

x said...

This is so artful and moving, each picture illuminating the next. You are such a gifted blogger with such a unique vision.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Great observations Rebecca. I remember the first time my husband and I decided to go camping in Colorado and pulled a travel trailer all the way across Kansas. I guess the Kansas winds must be related to the Wichita Falls winds - first cousins at lease. Scary!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Kim, it is a great photo, huh? I love it and the people in it!

Writer Reading, aww...that's so kind! You've made my day!

marlene @stitchin, I remember the Kansas winds too! We camped across Kansas when I was little and I remember the winds. And how dramatic it was to watch a thunderstorm roll over the cornfields.

bj said...

Hi, I saw your name on another blog and since I was Ramsey before I married, I thought I'd take a look at your blog.
I live in West Texas, where the winds up to 50/75 mph blow most of the time...so, nothing about wind is enjoyable to me, needless to say.
I love clothes on lines, blowing in the BREEZE..curtains at open windows blowing in the BREEZE but NOT WIND ! :O)
BJ

Cindy said...

Wonderful!

c

Sandra Evertson said...

Absolutely Fabulous post! And Yes, I did drool a bit on your post below!
Sandra Evertson

Naturegirl said...

So much here about wind! A whole post about wind! Now you have me thinking about wind instead of running from it!

Barb said...

Hi Becky,

Wind- we could use a little right now. Hot as blazes(113) and no breeze.

What fun pictures.
I haven't thought about what my voice sounded like talking into a fan for years. It keep me entertained for ages when I was a kid. Must have driven my parents crazy though!

many hugs to you.
Barb