Monday, October 25, 2010

The Sounds of Change


If you've been reading here long, you know there's a river near my house.
I try my best to take our dog on a walk there every day, to exercise this body that mostly sits at a desk, and to keep Tanner the Slobber Dog too tired to fish out the aluminum foil and yogurt cups out of the kitchen trash and gnaw them down like a goat.

We walked again yesterday afternoon, and in the stillness I couldn't get over the percussion of autumn sounds.
The clicks and chatter of the squirrels,
the pings of acorns against the ground, the thumps of hickory nuts on moss,
the leaves dropping, skittering across the path.
(I see why they call it Fall.)

The walking path follows the river. There are moments when you can't see the water on account of the brush or the rhododendron, but you can always hear it gurgling, rushing, and splashing.
Even the parts that seem absolutely still are moving, changing, polishing the pebbles underneath, brushing the algae on the rock, moving along the fallen leaves and twigs.

As I walked yesterday, I think I discovered a new reason why autumn is my favorite season. (Besides the flashy red and orange and yellow trees and the refreshing coolness after the oppressive summer heat.)
I think I'm partly in love with Fall because it celebrates change, party style.
The crows call it out from tree to tree, the oaks throw acorns like confetti.
The maples turn red and shake their leaves around, while the wind does the wave through the woods.
They say the only thing constant in life is change. Fall seems to have fun with that.

Maybe the orchestra of change outside my window helps me notice the sounds of change inside my house too.
A boy who once cried before school performances (once because the music teacher made all the turkeys in the Thanksgiving program "shake their bahonkas" while they sang) now asks to try out for a part in the youth musical.
A girl who never cared about cooking now calls me for recipes to try out in her college apartment.
A boy who used to sit blankly through church now talks about the message and tells me what he thinks.

Change can be beautiful music.
Now, if I could just get Tanner to stop growling and barking at the skeleton on my porch!

What are your favorite sounds of Fall? Do you hear the sounds of change at your house?

Have a wonder-full Monday, y'all!
Love, Becky

16 comments:

Attic Rat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Attic Rat said...

I could hear the river as I read your description of it. THanks for sharing that with us.

It's funny how your dog keeps barking at your Halloween decorations.

Smiles,
Teresa

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Becky,

Oh, girl! We are kindred hearts. I adore autumn for ALL the reasons you so beautifully wrote about here. Unfortunately, I live in Floria. I appreciate the chance to enjoy your beautiful photo and vicariously enjoy a few moments of fall here with you today.

P.S. Your dog cracks me up.

lotusgirl said...

Your writing was especially beautiful today. Inspired by the fall no doubt. Fall is also my favorite season. I wonder how many people in the south (subjected to the sweltering oppression of summer) choose fall as their favorite. Thanks for taking me along on your sortie. I especially love the rustle of leaves in the wind. The whisper clicking swirls as they rush along the street in front of my house.

Jean Wise said...

beautifully written. Fall is NOT my favorite time but your post certainly makes me like it more. This autumn has especially called to my heart. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

I wish I could hear happy change at my house right now. Maybe in a few years. But outside, the sound of swishing leaves as I walk and the fading shouts of geese.

Kristin T. (@kt_writes) said...

I love this: "I think I'm partly in love with Fall because it celebrates change, party style."

That's so true, and probably sums up why I've always had a love-hate relationship with fall. It's so many contradictory things all at once: Cozy yet lonely, beautiful yet forlorn, celebratory yet sad. Thanks for reminding me how important change is, even if it isn't always easy.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Do I ever! And I'm achin' for it. You've probably noticed "anticipation" on my FFF list for several weeks now...

I'm spending my time trying to convince myself I'll be all right if things don't change the way I'm anticipating.

Love the positive spin on change!

Terri said...

The primary sound today is me sneezing and sniffling from this cold (LOL)....but tonight we are expecting a strong wind storm with rain and thunder (mostly wind, though) - and so that will bring the sound of leaves blowing away or around.

Roxane B. Salonen said...

It's almost getting spooky, Becki, but I'm actually tickled we're so in sync. You asked about sounds, I asked about colors. Well let's see now...thinking about our Camp Wilderness experience, by far, the coolest sound was when the kids and I were on our nature walk, and all of a sudden we heard this tremendous creaking. It truly sounded like a haunted house or something. As we got closer to the sound and looked up, we realized it was two humongous pine trees banging together way up in the sky, making the creepiest of noises. It's a party alright! Noise-makers, anyone? Oh, never mind, the trees have it covered. :)

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Oops! Becky, I'm sorry I used an "i." I have another Becki friend who uses the "i." I apologize for the typo! Letters are important, this coming from Roxane with one "n" (always gets misspelled).

Susan said...

What a great post. I, too, love Fall. I love the colors of the leaves that cling to the trees. I love the smells of leaves after they have fallen. I used to love the crisp cool weather that comes, but alas we are still in the upper 80's here. Mostly I love the fact that Fall is His way of reminding us that everything has a chance at change and renewal.

Barb said...

Hi Becky,

60 teenagers. God Bless you. You are one strong or crazy gal.
I am waiting for fall. I know it is just a matter of time.

xoxox,
Barb

P.S. I was in b&N and did a little display with your book. I know I drive them crazy.

Kelly H-Y said...

What a lovely post ... I adore fall as well.

Unknown said...

What a lovely post! I truly enjoyed it! Yes, the change I'm experiencing is getting 8 hours of sleep a night for the first time in months thanks to my doctor's help...and I hope it stays that way...no he's not coming over to help me...tee heee (naughty me) he prescribed the right medication to help me get some...finally! Whew!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful word picture you've painted! I went on your walk with you--on another day, in another state and I'm sitting at my desk! My favorite sound of fall--leaves skittering, scraping, scratching over the grass and pavement, blowing about by the wind!