Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pictures of Grace


What does grace look like?
Today I'm joining Emily Freeman over at Chatting at the Sky in sort of a blog party of grace. She's asked us to share a photograph of what grace means to us. It sounded like a fun challenge, so I started flipping through our photos, thinking. What picture would show God's generosity, his free gullywasher of love to every one of us, no matter who we are or what we've done? Even though we haven't earned it and couldn't if we tried?
Of course I couldn't settle on one.

I like the chick in Sam's hand above, because I see myself in that little fellow. Not sure where I'm going, vulnerable to the world, but curious and ready to explore. God holds me in his hands, no matter who I am or what I've done. God's hands are steady and loving, ready to release me if I want to walk away, to embrace me if I want to snuggle in, always available, offering me rest, calm, and encouragement.

Photo 2:

I see God's grace in the framed piece of art created by a member of Triune Mercy Center in its art room, a place where the homeless and the suffering can sit at a table and create whatever God puts in their hearts and heads and paint brushes. I see a savior in the painting, a powerful agent of light, speaking to the artist, offering himself to the painter, no matter what his circumstances, no matter how low he's fallen. His wings show he's ready to fly, swooping the painter up out of his depths, onto safer ground.

Photo 3:

I love this photo of downtown Clermont Ferrand, where we used to live.
Let's focus on the bas-relief carved in the wall of the apartment on the corner.
Here's a closer look.

The scene is opposite the cathedral, and as you can see, it depicts Christ washing the feet of the disciples. It's an incredible, almost unbelievable picture of grace to me, and I think how uncomfortable I would have been, waiting in line. To me, this is grace in its purest form. Christ himself, bending before us, washing our dirty parts with his own hands.
We are so loved. So lucky!

What speaks grace to you?
Hop over to Emily's place and join the party!

Have a wonder-full Wednesday, y'all!
Love, Becky

11 comments:

lotusgirl said...

I love the image of the chick in the hands of God and the example of Christ washing the disciples' feet.

Anonymous said...

That last image is so poignant. Service without expectation. That is grace.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

lovely commentary & photos Becky! thx for sharing.. think i'll hop over to check it out too :)

Our Juicy Life said...

love the chick. When we lived in France in 2008 we had our chickens and they were so much fun...until the fox ate them!

Terri said...

I'm heading out the door for a two day conference. Maybe I'll do this later...I love your photos!

emily freeman said...

Oh, the chick! These are great - so glad you linked them up.

Amy Sullivan said...

Becky,

I loved all of your pictures on grace, but the chick is my favorite, and your explanation is right on.

Aren't we all little things jumping around, trying to find our place, but resting in the goodness of God.

Fun link up.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Love that bas-relief, Becky.

I can envision the picture I'd use, but I have no idea where it is -- lots of years of mothering, I suppose.

Hmm...think I need to get those photos more organized!

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Becky, beautiful shots. Love them all. Thanks for sharing Grace with us. My middle daughter's middle name is Grace and she often exhibits this trait in very visible ways. Another son was especially grace-filled as an infant; I would just hold him and grace would pour out of his tiny body. Today, grace came in the voices of some friends during a difficult afternoon. So no photos, but some grace-filled thoughts.

Kat said...

What a lovely post.
When I think of grace I think of a newborn baby. I think of helping hands. Service. I think of people dealing with illnesses and difficulty with strength and courage. And I think of my Grace.
Grace can really mean so many different things. :)

Ray in Murray, Ut said...

In the latter part of 1969 I served as an LDS missionary in Clermont. I purchased a postcard with this bas relief on it with the intention of framing it. In my many moves I somehow misplaced it. I thought I would never see it again. This was one of the two things which I brought back from 2 1/2 years in France which meant the most. Thanks so much!!!