Monday, March 29, 2010

College Road Tripping


Do you remember your first visit to a college campus? Not for a basketball game or a concert, but as a prospective student? When it finally hit you that it was actually about to happen? In a little more than a year, you'd be on your own! Mom and Dad wouldn't be there to boss you around, to do annoying things like cook your meals and do your laundry.
I remember being excited, but also glad that I had one more year left.

It seems like yesterday that I was taking Sarah on her college visits. Two steps into our first tour I fell into total freak out mode. Was I really old enough to have a college daughter? How was I going to live without her? And didn't I just finish being a student? I didn't look as old as the other parents, did I?

Then I looked at my beautiful daughter, so grown up, yet still my baby. She was biting her lip like she does whenever she's a little nervous. A tad overwhelmed.
THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU, I said to myself. Then I put on my big girl panties and got over it. Our visit went fine.
In fact, we had a great week touring around lovely campuses, soaking up information about student/teacher ratios and meal plans. Plus we got to observe human behavior.
A few weird memories? I'm glad you asked!

1. The campus guide who took us to the beverage center in the dining hall, waved his hand over the milk station like Vanna White, and said, "Here at Blablabla College, you have the option of whole milk, chocolate milk, and skim milk. Or you can even go nonfat." (Woo hoo! That decides it! This is the school of my dreams!) I guess milk is really important to some people.

2. One daddy who wanted to know who would notify him if his son decided to experiment with alcohol or drugs. (At which point the son's head disappeared turtle fashion into the neck of his jacket.)

3. Another daddy who asked if there were panic buttons connecting each dorm room with campus security. (At which the daughter rolled her eyes and shook her head in humiliation.) I made notes for Todd. Favorite topic of fathers? Campus security! Personally, I thought the panic button was a good idea.

4. A mom raising her hand and asking, "Where do you recommend going if you want to party and don't want to be carded?"
Very weird of you to ask, Cool Mom.

I can't believe it, but it's time for college visits again.

It's the cowboy's turn, and we start today.
We'll be going strong all week, so I'm not sure how much blogging I'll be able to do in the next few days. But if I find any panic buttons, you'll be the first to know!

Have a great Monday, y'all!
Love, Becky

15 comments:

Lucy Henry said...

I can't believe you have one in college and another ready to go- Wasn't it last week that we were on the FHBC Mission trip in KY- on no wait that was the Spring of 84- how time flies- but the memories make it feel like yesterday and I am thankful for the memories!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Moments, not always easy, but memorable. Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Oh my! I just got done looking at my own college freshman yearbook! It was soooo much fun! I loved it! I can't believe I'm ...um... "that old" now...ahem! I love you, Becky! "put on my big girl panties and get over it! LOL! You are so hilarious and down to earth that is why I just love you! You make me laugh and cry about normal everyday life all at the same time! You are wonderful!

Anyway, I just came to say thank you for coming over to celebrate my blogoversary with me! YOU are one MY favorite people REALLY YOU ARE and thank you for saying that I am one of YOUR favorite people! You totally made my day! :) Hee hee!
~TattingChic ♥

Jenny said...

Rebecca, YOu certainly make me laugh. yikes, I don't want to think about this with a 13 going on However-much-older-she-think-she-is teenager. But it is coming around the bend soon enough and I like your phrase "put on my big girl panties", Yeah I need to do that. And I have to thank my mom because she did that for me. my leaving for college was a breeze and fun to boot, but later I found out that my mom would sniffle herself to sleep for the first few weeks i was gone and kept a picture of me by her bed. oh, my. Much love to your and yours and blessing of joy this Easter time.

May Vanderbilt said...

Wait, they let cowboys go to college now? He'd better leave his trusty horse at home!

I remember my college tour like it was yesterday. Have fun!

Unknown said...

We didn't do a whole lot of visiting but some of my most intriguing memories occurred once they were enrolled and attending college. What interesting times! Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of that movie, but I am laughing at the preview! Oh, I hope I don't shame my kids with questions like those!
Good luck deciding. FYI, Wisconsin serves really good milk at all of it's colleges. And cheese. Real cheese.

Kelly H-Y said...

"Big girl panties ..." - - hee, hee! Loved this! I'm going to be the same way when my children - the oldest of which is only in 2nd grade - go to college! I just know it! I've heard a lot of parents mentioning college visits lately ... 'tis the season! Have fun and good luck ... let us know how it goes ... you can give us pointers! :-)

Susan said...

Wow, how time does fly. It seems like yesterday that you were getting weepy about your little girl going off to school. Now your little cowboy. Aww Mom, you'll do fine. Maybe he'll bring Raven home to visit! I'm just sayin'.

Parisbreakfasts said...

Very funny indeed! :))
What questions these parents must ask nowadays!
I was not allowed to stray TOO far from the homefront like New Orleans or Bard, though they did unleash me for a while to Boston-Big Mistake!
I was home within 2 years, still making trouble within earshot.
BRAVO for getting through this week in one piece.

Leah Skaggs said...

ok - this made me cry.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Y'all are awesome.
Lucy, yes, it was just yesterday we were in Kentucky! Those mission trips gave me the best college memories ever. And how else would I have learned how to paint?!

Hi Ele, I'm hanging!

Tatting chic, you're a sweetheart.

Jenny, happy Easter to you too! And hug that 13 year old. She'll be flying the coop before you know it!

Hey May. We're having a blast. One of the best parts of college trips is the time in the car with the teenager. Not to sound syrupy, but I'm treasuring it!

Hi Sherry, I look forward to what college brings for both of us. Having a college girl has been so much fun. I can't wait to see all the things in store for Ben.

GG, I bet the cheese is amazing. :) If only it was closer. I don't think I could stand having him that far away!

Kelly, as I'm sure you know already, time really does fly. Seems like just a minute ago Ben was in 2nd grade. It'll be here before you know it! (But thank goodness there are wonderful things about each age. So much to look forward to!)

Thanks, Susan. I know! Time moves way too quickly!

Hey, PB. I think keeping them close to home is a good thing. Though I'm not sure we'll be able to keep Ben as close as I'd like. He's ready to fly the nest, and once he's gone, who knows where he'll end up!

Leah, here's a tissue. But it's a good thing. (I keep repeating this to myself!)

Ronnie said...

Have a very Happy Easter, Becky and slobber dog and all the rest of the Ramsey gang. XO

Unknown said...

My baby's going to college next fall and I'm getting pretty sad about it. And Excited! And sad!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Dawn, I feel for you! It's so much emotion mixed up all together!